The Chicago Foreign Language Press Survey was published in 1942 by the Chicago Public Library Omnibus Project of the Works Progress Administration of Illinois. The purpose of the project was to translate and classify selected news articles that appeared in the foreign language press from 1855 to 1938. The project consists of 120,000 typewritten pages translated from newspapers of 22 different foreign language communities of Chicago.

Read more about this historic project.

Filter by Date

  • Zgoda -- November 20, 1889
    Polish Hall Named "Pulaski."

    Poles in Chicago, in the south central part of the city, always had the idea and ambition to construct a Polish hall in their section of the town. A few weeks ago they purchased four lots, on which there shall stand the Polish hall. Friday, the 15th of November, there was an unusual meeting, at which they chose nine directors. They are Mr. Napieralski, Smietanka, Blaszezynski, Drzymaly, Rosanski, Grzegorzewski, Fruzyn, Marcinkowski, and Maciejewski.

    They formed an organization under the name of Pulaski Hall Builders Organization. To this organization in that part of town various groups, organizations, likewise church, gymnastic organizations and the Polish Falcons No. 1, joined in. Good luck.

    Poles in Chicago, in the south central part of the city, always had the idea and ambition to construct a Polish hall in their section of the town. A few ...

    Polish
    II D 6, IV
  • Zgoda -- April 30, 1890
    Society to Build a Hall for Pulaski

    The Builders Society is planning a picnic in Kuhn's Park, near Milwaukee Avenue May the 18th; tickets are 25¢ per couple.

    Thousands of Polish people living in the city of Chicago, have been aware of the need for this Polish hall, where our Polish people will be represented thus making a good impression on the people of other nationalities, but because of numerous obstacles this dream never came to reality.

    Last year Polish societies from the west section of our city, planned and finally organized a society called Pulaski Hall Society as a memorial to heroic deeds performed for this country, the United States of America.

    The funds collected to date are enough to cover the expense for this hall, that is why this picnic is being planned, to raise enough money to start work on this beautiful hall, and the committee is cordially inviting all Polish citizens to support this picnic by being present.

    We haven't any slackers among us. At last we can see this dream come to reality, which is what we have been waiting and working for.

    2

    Other nationalities have halls where they can gather in groups to enjoy themselves, why can't the Poles? That is why, my dear comrades, I ask you, forget your political party, and unite as one body, to work and support the building of this hall. We hope that the Poles will put their heart and soul into this work in the name of Society to build this Pulaski Hall.

    Committee

    The Builders Society is planning a picnic in Kuhn's Park, near Milwaukee Avenue May the 18th; tickets are 25¢ per couple. Thousands of Polish people living in the city of ...

    Polish
    II C, III A, II D 6
  • Dziennik Chicagoski -- August 18, 1891
    Polish Activities

    From Saint Adalbert's Parish, lottery games for the benefit of Saint Adalbert's church, located at 17th and Paulina Streets, began on August 16, and will last until August 30, every day, except Fridays and Saturdays, at the parish hall. The lottery game ticket is good for the entire season, and is priced at $1.

    The result of last year's lottery for the benefit of the church was satisfactory, for it was sufficient to defray most of the expenses of the new organ. The income of this year's lottery will be used for the exterior and interior decoration of this beautiful temple.

    The purpose is indeed very worthy, and for this reason we hope that the Poles living in Chicago, regardless to what parish they belong, will participate in the lottery by buying as many tickets as they can. In this respect, they 2will show their love for the Patron Saint of our Fatherland, Poland, and God will bless their gifts as he miraculously, rewarded the generosity of the Polish king, Boleslaus Chrobry, who ransomed the body of the holy martyr from the pagan Prussians.

    From Saint Adalbert's Parish, lottery games for the benefit of Saint Adalbert's church, located at 17th and Paulina Streets, began on August 16, and will last until August 30, every ...

    Polish
    II D 6, III B 2
  • Dziennik Chicagoski -- February 05, 1892
    Dramatic Club to Stage " Children of Israel"

    Immediately after the inception of the Dramatic Club by the patriotic organization a special meeting was held last night in order to get into productive activity as soon as possible. After the reading of the constitutional amendments, the members enthusiastically proclaimed that this club will now be given an opportunity to expand. All stated that they will put a special effort into their work in order to make this an outstanding organization.

    The members made a motion for plans to be made for staging a play as soon as possible. It was agreed to produce "Children of Israel" during the latter part of this month. This play will be given as a token of appreciation to the Polish Patriotic organization for their ratification of the constitution. The proceeds will go for the upkeep of the hall.

    The members pledged their best support for they want their initial effort to 2be one of the finest. Roles given to the various actors have been accepted. However, this coming Sunday a meeting will be held to make certain that all are satisfied with their parts.

    It is understood that the author, Szczesny Zahajkiewicz, has made some changes in the play which have made the entire story more interesting.

    Immediately after the inception of the Dramatic Club by the patriotic organization a special meeting was held last night in order to get into productive activity as soon as possible. ...

    Polish
    II B 1 c 1, II D 6, IV
  • Dziennik Chicagoski -- April 07, 1892
    Father Barzynski Feted

    A birthday reception was given to Father Vinnent Barzynski at St. Stanislaus' parish by some of the outstanding parishioners last Tuesday. The purpose of the affair was to show the pastor the gratitude of the people for his untiring work done for the parish, and the Polish people at large.

    The school children's choir, under the able guidance of Szczesny Zahajkiewicz, presented a short musical sketch. Those in attendance had the privilege of witnessing an original creation by one of the school children. In many instances throughout the play, unusual talent of the boy was brought out. The action, the dialogue, and even the theme, showed interesting original creative ability. If the boy is tutored along the right directions, without doubt, he will bring honor to the Poles of Chicago.

    2

    During the course of the dinner, the toastmaster, Father K. Domagalski expressed the wished of the entire assemblage by extending Father Barzynski heartfelt birthday felicitations. The pastor in turn thanked the assembled friends, and wished them many years of happiness.

    After a short solemn speech by the celebrant, City Treasurer Kiolbassa took the stand. He gave a short history of the parish and presented a picture of the work accomplished by Father Barzynski for the parish, for the Poles in Chicago, and for the Poles in America. Peter Kiolbassa, as a representative of the Polish people, wished the pastor continued health and happiness and many years of active life.

    3

    The pastor's earnestness in his work was shown three times at the reception. He received three calls during the course of the evening. Each time he rose from the table to handle the situation personally, never delaying the business until after the termination of the birthday reception.

    After the dinner, three children of St. Stanislaus Kostki's school, gave recitations in honor of the pastor. They were tutored by Leon Machnikowski.

    This completed the reception here. The entire assemblage left to visit the Holy Family Orphanage. Under the able guidance of the Notre Dame Sisters, the children gave a varied program of entertainment to the visitors. A mixed choir sang a number of songs, Polish and English dialogues were 4rendered also. The unfortunate children virtually called Father Barzynski their father, for his constant attention has given them moral, spiritual, and material help. Although many of the waifs entered the orphanage shabbily garbed, their attire at this occasion showed no sign of neglect. Their trim appearance was a good indication of the efforts of Father Barzynski. It should be noted that it was through the hard work of the pastor and his influence over pastors of other Polish churches that made this orphanage a possibility.

    The conclusion of the introductory entertainment introduced the gymnastic drill exercises of the children. Though commanded by a nun, a person familiar with military drills would envy these children as they executed each order. The highlight of the exercises was the sensational marching of a four year old boy.

    5

    At the conclusion, the originator of the Holy Family Orphanage showed his honored guests about the entire building. Many expressed wonderment of the fine layout.

    Their reaction was a fine example, for it definitely showed how the contributions have been expended. No doubt was left in their minds about the efficiency of handling the funds.

    A birthday reception was given to Father Vinnent Barzynski at St. Stanislaus' parish by some of the outstanding parishioners last Tuesday. The purpose of the affair was to show the ...

    Polish
    IV, II D 5, II D 6
  • Dziennik Chicagoski -- May 27, 1892
    Mass Meeting

    All Poles who wish to participate in the erection of the Polish Hall on the Northwest Side of Chicago are requested to attend a mass meeting on monday, May 30, 1892, at Mr. M. Majewski's Hall, 779 Milwaukee Avenue.

    The preparatory work of the committee, chosen from the delegates of various organizations, is finished and the time for action has arrived. The delegates of these organizations decided, at a meeting on May 16, to call a mass meeting of all right-thinking compatriots. A report of the work accomplished thus far by the delegates will then be read. Afterwards an election will take place of "commissioners", who will be empowered legally to sell shares. The erection of a Polish Hall should lie close to the heart of every good Pole, irrespective of whether or not he belongs to the association. Consequently the greatest possible number of our people should meet at the time and place designated.

    2

    Committee: V. Bardonski,

    Joseph Piatkiewicz,

    Michael Rzeszotarski,

    Ignacy Krakowski,

    Thaddeus Wild.

    All Poles who wish to participate in the erection of the Polish Hall on the Northwest Side of Chicago are requested to attend a mass meeting on monday, May 30, ...

    Polish
    III B 2, II D 6, II F
  • Dziennik Chicagoski -- July 07, 1892
    [Dedication of Pulaski Hall and Parade]

    The editorial department is cordially requested to place into the columns of its paper the program of the parade and exercises for the dedication of the cornerstone under the building of Pulaski Hall.

    On July 10, 1892, at 1:00 P. M., the associations taking part in the parade are requested to arrive at the point of assembly at Ashland Avenue, at the corner of 19th and 20th Streets. The associations are divided into divisions. The first division is composed of uniformed organizations and will occupy 19th Street, from Ashland Avenue to Wood Street. The associations are: 1. The Knights of St. Casimir; 2. The Cracovites; 3. The Ulans; 4. The Falcons.

    The second division is composed of civilian associations organized before the year 1885, and will meet at Ashland Avenue, from 19th to 20th Streets and beyond. These associations are: 1. The Polish Community; 2. St. Adalbert's Society; 3. The Sacred Heart of Mary Society; 4. The Harmony 2Society; 5. The Commerce Association; 6. The Holy Name Society; 7. The St. Stanislaus Kostka Society; 8. St. Dominick's Society.

    The third division constitutes the associations formed after the year 1884, and will meet at 19th Street, from Ashland Avenue to Wood Street. The associations are: 1. The Associations at St. Adalbert's Church; 2. John Sobieski Society; 3. The Batory Society; 4. The Kraszewski Society; 5. The Foresters Society; 6. St. Casimer's Society; 7. St. Joseph's Society; 8. The Pole Abroad.

    Those associations which have not announced themselves but will arrive will occupy a place in order of the age of the societies. The societies thus formed will parade from Wood Street to 17th Street; from 17th Street to Laflin; from Laflin to Van Horn; from Van Horn to Paulina; from Paulina to 18th Street; from 18th Street to Ashland Avenue and then to the hall, where the directors and administrators will admit the societies which will form in the same order as in the parade. The military will lead 3the parade and the other societies will follow. The presidents of the societies will come upon the stage, where speeches in the Polish and English languages will be delivered, after which the exercises will come to a close. A request is hereby made to comply with this program.

    W. Laskowski, Chief Marshal

    S. Strawinski, Secretary of Pulaski Building

    The editorial department is cordially requested to place into the columns of its paper the program of the parade and exercises for the dedication of the cornerstone under the building ...

    Polish
    II C, II D 6
  • Zgoda -- July 13, 1892
    Local News

    The corner stone was laid July 10th, under the first Polish hall in Chicago called "Pulaski Hall" at Ashland avenue between 17th and 18th streets. For this occasion all of the homes at 17th and 18th streets were decorated beautifully with Polish and American flags, and with other national colors,also Polish eagles and armorials.

    The event started at 2:00 P. M. in the afternoon at which over thirty organizations participated. After the parade all of the organizations gathered at the foundation of the building. A temporary platform was near the foundation.

    Mr. K. Zychlinski then spoke a few words in Polish and Mr. V. A.Peterson, a lawyer, spoke in English, after that the ceremony of laying the corner stone began. At this moment Mr. K. Zychlinski read off the protocol concerning the new hall endorsed by its directors, also many other valuable documents, that were stored in a metal compartment and laid away. At the conclusion of this ceremony Judge Altgeld spoke in English and Mr. D. K. Midowicz in Polish.

    The corner stone was laid July 10th, under the first Polish hall in Chicago called "Pulaski Hall" at Ashland avenue between 17th and 18th streets. For this occasion all of ...

    Polish
    II D 6, IV
  • Dziennik Chicagoski -- July 26, 1892
    The Polish Hall

    The erection of the Polish Hall, on the Northwest Side of Chicago, has again made a step forward. The so-called license has come from Springfield and it is now possible to subscribe for shares in the Polish Hall. It is requested that all those who wish to become shareholders appear at Mr. Victor Bardonski's drugstore, where subscriptions can be secured at any time. The shares are $10 each and the capital stock amounts to $50,000. Payments for the subscribed shares will depend upon the will of the general public and the directors, according to the needs in the progress of erection. Subscriptions for the shares will be collected only until August 8, after which time the list of the shareholders will be sent to Springfield for the purpose of obtaining a charter. The commissioners, who succeeded in obtaining the license, request compatriots to subscribe as numerously and as quickly as possible; they particularly petition the more wealthy compatriots, the businessmen and proprietors, to contribute to this work by name and deed. The drugstore of Mr. Victor Bardonski is located at the corner of Bradley and Noble Streets. Victor Bardonski, Victor Karlowski, C. W. Dyniewicz, Thomas Wozny, Joseph Piatkiewicz, Michael Magdziarz, A. X. Centella, commissioners.

    The erection of the Polish Hall, on the Northwest Side of Chicago, has again made a step forward. The so-called license has come from Springfield and it is now possible ...

    Polish
    II D 6, II A 2, II F
  • Dziennik Chicagoski -- October 12, 1892
    The Fredre Dramatic Circle Stages Benefit Performances

    The Fredre Dramatic Circle presented "Zbojcow" (Robbers), by Szyler, for the first time on October 6, at Walsh's Hall. The proceeds of this performance went toward the Kosciusko Monument Fund.

    The same play was repeated on October 7, at Vorwaerts Hall and the proceeds were given to Pulaski Hall.

    The Fredre Dramatic Circle presented "Zbojcow" (Robbers), by Szyler, for the first time on October 6, at Walsh's Hall. The proceeds of this performance went toward the Kosciusko Monument Fund. ...

    Polish
    II B 1 c 1, II D 6, II C