The Chicago Foreign Language Press Survey was published in 1942 by the Chicago Public Library Omnibus Project of the Works Progress Administration of Illinois. The purpose of the project was to translate and classify selected news articles that appeared in the foreign language press from 1855 to 1938. The project consists of 120,000 typewritten pages translated from newspapers of 22 different foreign language communities of Chicago.

Read more about this historic project.

Filter by Date

  • [Association documents] -- October 29, 1871
    Sinai Congregation, Board of Directors Minutes

    Report of the Committee on Place of Worship stating that a certain Jno. H. Ross had rented Standard Hall, but the Board of Directors of the hall reserved the right for the use of the Sinai Congregation.

    Moved and carried, that the committee shall take further charge of the matter and see that the privilege be reserved for the congregation in the lease, and that a pulpit be provided.

    Moved and carried to appoint a committee to see that a melodeon be temporarily procured for our worships and that the choir and leader be notified to attend the worship as usual.

    Report of the Committee on Place of Worship stating that a certain Jno. H. Ross had rented Standard Hall, but the Board of Directors of the hall reserved the right ...

    Jewish
    III C, I B 4, V B
  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- November 01, 1871
    [Sermon on the Chicago Fire before the Sinai Community]

    At the corner of Wabash Avenue and Peck Court a house of worship is situated. About a year ago the house had been changed from a church into a synagogue. Last Saturday it saw within its walls a curious gathering. Dr. Chronik gave a sermon of penitance that was worthy of the world-historic event that formed its theme. Among those present were many members of Mount Sinai Community whose synagogue was destroyed by the conflagration. Many of them had stood at the top of the business world before the Fire. Now they must begin over again on the lowest rung of the ladder.

    It was an immensely difficult task. Dr. Chronik showed himself equal to it. He did not change his well-known viewpoints; on the contrary, he lifted his audience up to them with a colossal exertion. He saw in the great conflagration, not a divine punishment for sinners; he did not inject the elementary forces from the outside into the "moral" aspect of the conflagration. "The 2ethical meaning of the catastrophe lay, first of all," said Dr. Chronik, "in the fact that it opens our eyes and irresistibly tells us that we did not use the material goods which we received in so large a measure, and that we neglected the spiritual for the material. We have been unworthy administrators of the goods entrusted to us. This feeling embittered our loss." This part of the sermon was executed brilliantly. It should be heeded not only by Israelites. We regretted that Dr. Chronik did not dwell upon this theme longer. For the same reason we would regret if, at this moment, when a "new departure" has to be taken by all of us--a spiritual one at that--Dr. Chronik, a man and a knight of the spirit, should be lost to our city. May we, just now, be spared such a loss!

    At the corner of Wabash Avenue and Peck Court a house of worship is situated. About a year ago the house had been changed from a church into a synagogue. ...

    Jewish
    I C, III C
  • [Association documents] -- November 05, 1871
    Sinai Congregation, Board of Directors Minutes

    Moved and carried that the committee on procuring a place of worship, try to secure Olivet Presbyterian church, for next Sabbath and get terms for the future.....Moved and carried that invitation be sent the Zion Congregation to participate in the service and inaugural sermon of Dr. Kohler, also to ask Zion Congregation to let us have the use of their choir for next Saturday.

    Moved and carried that the committee on procuring a place of worship, try to secure Olivet Presbyterian church, for next Sabbath and get terms for the future.....Moved and carried that ...

    Jewish
    V B, III B 3 b, III C
  • [Association documents] -- November 26, 1871
    Sinai Congregation, Board of Directors Minutes

    M. Mayer and G. Foreman, Committee on School Room reported that the school rooms of Laz. Silverman, now in the hands of K. A. M. Congregation, can be had, Moved and carried to send a communication to K. A. M., that the Sinai Congregation express their thanks for the temporary use of the rooms, and is willing to share the payment of any rents, which the K. A. M. may have to pay.

    M. Mayer and G. Foreman, Committee on School Room reported that the school rooms of Laz. Silverman, now in the hands of K. A. M. Congregation, can be had, Moved ...

    Jewish
    I A 2 a, III C
  • [Association documents] -- March 30, 1873
    Sinai Congregation, Board of Directors Minutes

    The Committee on Purchase of a Site for a Temple reported that they bought of C. M. Culbertson, 100 feet of ground with the improvements thereon on the southwest corner of Indiana Ave. and 21st St., running back to an alley, on the following terms: One-thousand dollars ($1,000) cash, four-thousand dollars ($4,000) on May 1, 1873, ten-thousand dollars ($10,000) on September 1, 1873, with interest at 8% per annum from May 1, 1873, and twenty-thousand dollars ($20,000) payable in five years from the 1st of May, 1873, with interest from last said date at 8% per annum payable semi-annually, the said payments of twenty-thousand dollars ($20,000) and ten-thousand dollars ($10,000) to be secured by a power of sale mortgage or trust deed of said premises at the option of the vendor. It is also understood and agreed.... (that) the Sinai Congregation (shall secure) possession of the premises on the first of May, 1873.

    It is also understood and agreed that if at any time previous to the first

    The Committee on Purchase of a Site for a Temple reported that they bought of C. M. Culbertson, 100 feet of ground with the improvements thereon on the southwest corner ...

    Jewish
    III C
  • [Association documents] -- March 30, 1873
    Sinai Congregation, Board of Directors Minutes

    It was moved that the Board embodies in its recommendation to the congregation that the house standing on the ground bought of C. M. Culbertson, be tendered to our Minister for occupancy, except two rooms which should be reserved for the use of the congregation for Sunday School and meeting purposes, and that our Minister can either occupy said house on the first of May, or as soon as moved to its permanent site, subject however to the revocation of the congregation from year to year upon three months notice previously given, carried.

    It was moved that the Board embodies in its recommendation to the congregation that the house standing on the ground bought of C. M. Culbertson, be tendered to our Minister ...

    Jewish
    III C, I A 2 a
  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- June 21, 1875
    The Sinai Congregation

    The Jewish Sinai congregation celebrated the laying of the cornerstone of the new temple at the southeast corner of Indiana Avenue and 21st Street--diagonally opposite from the First Presbyterian Church. Nearly all the members of the Jewish congregation as well as many visitors were present and the festival proceeded in an unostentatious but dignified manner.

    The building plans combine beauty with utility and the temple will therefore be an excellent architectural addition to the other churches in the vicinity. The temple covers an area of ninety by one hundred feet and its height, to the gable, is eighty-one feet. The dome which is to surmount the structure will reach 130 feet above the street level.

    The building will have a spacious basement beneath the temple hall. The lower part will have a fourteen-foot ceiling and is to serve as a lecture hall and Sunday-school room. One room is to be used as a library and everything 2will be furnished comfortably and elegantly.

    The entire floor above the basement will form the temple hall, which is to be panelled in wood. Light will filter through windows of artistically stained glass.

    A nice gallery above the east entrance will accommodate visitors.

    The organ, etc., are to be on the west side.

    The entrances to the temple will not only have as practical an arrangement as possible, but, if the designs are followed, will also be imposing and splendid.

    The rabbis will have special studies, dressing rooms, and other accommodations in the building.

    3

    The temple will contain four large hot-air furnaces, connected with a ventilating system, which will provide heat in winter and fresh air in summer.

    The exterior of the temple will show a marked contrast to other local churches, since the walls will form straight, uninterrupted lines, thus giving an appearance of simplicity. The monotonous surface will be relieved only by the gracefully formed windows and the tower. The slate roof will be like a Greek cross in form.

    The masonry will consist of roughhewn limestone. The total cost is estimated at seventy-five thousand dollars. Architect [Dankmar] Adler will supervise the construction.

    The festivities to celebrate the laying of the cornerstone were very simple and dignified, since the congregation, with its modern tendencies, dispensed with the rather old-fashioned Jewish custom of making an elaborate display.

    4

    Dr. [K.] Kohler gave the sermon in English, and a few suitable remarks were made by B. Loewenthal, president of the congregation, and by several other gentlemen.

    The church choir sang a few appealing and inspiring selections.

    Copies of the local daily papers and of Jewish periodicals from all parts of the country, a history of the congregation and a list of its members were sealed in the cornerstone.

    The Sinai congregation will continue, at present, to hold its religious services at Martin's Hall, at the corner of Twenty-Second Street and Indiana Avenue, until the new temple is completed.

    The officials of the congregation are as follows: B. Loewenthal, president; H. Meyers, vice-president; H. Felsenthal, secretary; M. Ryder, treasurer, and 5Dr. Kohler, rabbi.

    The congregation was founded in 1860 and has enjoyed constant growth since that time. The present membership consists of 110 families.

    The Jewish Sinai congregation celebrated the laying of the cornerstone of the new temple at the southeast corner of Indiana Avenue and 21st Street--diagonally opposite from the First Presbyterian Church. ...

    Jewish
    III C, IV
  • [Association documents] -- March 06, 1876
    Sinai Congregation, Board of Directors Minutes

    .....it was resolved that the ceremony (of the dedication of the new temple) should begin on Saturday, April 8, at 4 P. M., and that the festivities should continue on Sunday (Pesach) following, services commencing at 10 A. M.

    .....it was resolved that the ceremony (of the dedication of the new temple) should begin on Saturday, April 8, at 4 P. M., and that the festivities should continue on ...

    Jewish
    II B 1 c 3, III C
  • [Association documents] -- March 27, 1876
    Sinai Congregation, Board of Directors Minutes

    (Budget for Fiscal Year 1875-76).

    Estimated Resources:

    Dues from 100 members @ $40 $4,000.00
    Assessment at the rate of 10% on pews valued at $70,000 7,000.00
    From rental of pews 1,000.00
    Adm. fees, dues and assessment of new members 1,000.00
    Total $13,000.00

    Expenditures:

    Salary of Reader and Teacher 2,000.00
    Salary of Dr. Kohler 4,000.00
    Salary of Sexton and Janitor 800.00
    Interest on Mortgage 1,600.00
    Insurance $50,000- C ¾ 375.00
    Coal and Gas 500.00
    Taxes on 3rd Ave. 400.00
    Incidentals 300.00
    Choir 2,400.00
    Total $12,475.00

    (Budget for Fiscal Year 1875-76). Estimated Resources: <table> <tr> <td>Dues from 100 members @ $40</td> <td>$4,000.00</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Assessment at the rate of 10% on pews valued at $70,000</td> <td>7,000.00</td> ...

    Jewish
    III C
  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- April 10, 1876
    A Dedication of a Temple

    The dedication of a large temple erected by the Sinai congregation on the corner of 21st Street and Indiana Avenue, has taken place. The cost of the temple was $70,000, the lot not included. The style of architecture is mixed Gothic and Oriental, making a very striking appearance. The hall for religious services accommodates one-thousand persons.

    Mr. Adler was the first speaker, saying......regardless ofthe changes of custom, the Jewish people have retained and professed their religious enthusiasm and no matter how much parties and inclinations differ in Israel, the same monotheistic foundation exists. The next speaker was Dr. Felsenthal, who took for his text the psalm verse, "Open to me the gates of righteousness." He attempted to answer the question:- Under which circumstance could the gates of that temple be spoken of as gates of righteousness? He spoke of the Jewish doctrine which will be preached in this house of the Lord which in itself is enlightening. He spoke of the Jewish life in connection with religious services, cultivation of Jewish knowledge and works on loving our neighbours. As an extra-ordinary orator,he sowed ideas of unusual beauty and richness. No doubt many a grain which he has sowed will take root and bloom, and in due time will also bear fruit.

    2

    The next speaker, Dr. Kohler, who delivered his speech in English. He commenced with the words of Jacob: "How reverence-commanding this branch is!" He spoke of the three main pillars as the basis for the Jewish mental life; education; service to the Lord; and charitable work.

    The dedication of a large temple erected by the Sinai congregation on the corner of 21st Street and Indiana Avenue, has taken place. The cost of the temple was $70,000, ...

    Jewish
    III C