The Chicago Foreign Language Press Survey was published in 1942 by the Chicago Public Library Omnibus Project of the Works Progress Administration of Illinois. The purpose of the project was to translate and classify selected news articles that appeared in the foreign language press from 1855 to 1938. The project consists of 120,000 typewritten pages translated from newspapers of 22 different foreign language communities of Chicago.

Read more about this historic project.

Filter by Date

  • L'italia -- December 05, 1908
    [United Italian Societies to Raise Fund for Building]

    The Supreme Council of the United Italian Societies has decided to sell twenty thousand shares of stock in the society, for the purpose of raising a fund, to put up a building for the use of affiliated societies. The shares are valued at $10 each, but for the first six months they will be sold at $5 each.

    The United Italian Societies will give their eighth reception and dance at the North Side Turner Hall, N. Clark St. and W. Chicago Ave.

    The Fund Committee for this building consists of C. Ginnocchio, S. Rebera, G. Giovonnoli, G.G. Raggio, G.B. Chiappe, and G. Bassi.

    The Supreme Council of the United Italian Societies has decided to sell twenty thousand shares of stock in the society, for the purpose of raising a fund, to put up ...

    Italian
    III B 2, II F
  • L'italia -- June 27, 1915
    [Club Contributes to Red Cross]

    The Italian Alpine Gun Club held a meeting last Wednesday in Vittoria Hall on Western Ave. and Madison St. at 2 P. M., to raise funds by subscription for the Italian Red Cross. The Italian Consul Conte Bolegnesi was also present.

    At the opening of the meeting the following order of the day was approved:

    "We, Italian American citizens of Chicago, and of all Italian provinces, and elements of the Italian Colony of Chicago, must support our great and noble King Victor Emmanuel III, his people, and their intrepid, loyal and honorable acts, in declaring war on Austria. The purpose of this war is to redeem from slavery the provinces of Trento and Trieste, and the City of Dalmazia - all Italian.

    "We, in our hearts, profoundly deplore a war that menaces the lives of our Italian soldiers, many of whom will never return to their homes, while many will return wounded and maimed for life.

    "We Italian American citizens of Chicago, wish to show our most warm feelings and profound sympathy for our fatherland, and solemnly promise to do all 2in our power to alleviate the sufferings of our country, men who are fighting at the front, their families, widows and orphans.

    "For such a purpose we donate to the Delegation of the Italian Red Cross of Chicago the sum of $1,500., which has been raised by the members of the Italian Alpine Gun Club among their friends (besides another sum of $1,500. presented by other members of the said club).

    "Finally, we approve a vote of thanks to the American press for the impartial items published concerning Italy in the war and its story, eulogizing the Italian Minister of Foreign Affairs for his publication of Libro Verde (Green Book) in which he declares that our fatherland did not go to war for the purpose of acquiring more territory, but to redeem our brethren tyrannized and oppressed by Austria against the most elementary laws of justice of right, and of nationality.

    (Signed) Barto Chiappe

    Italian Alpine Gun Club President of Chicago, 1658 West VanBuren St."

    At the end of the session it was unanimously decided to send the following despatch to the King of Italy:

    3

    "To his Majesty,

    Victor Emanuel III,

    King of Italy.

    Italian American citizens of Chicago united today at a mass-meeting in the Vittoria Hall, and expressed to your Majesty that for intelligence and valour you have earned the veneration and admiration of all Italians scattered throughout the world, and our eternal love and support.

    (Signed) Barto Chiappe

    Italian Alpini Gun Club Pres. of Chicago

    1658 W. Van Buren Street"

    The Italian Alpine Gun Club held a meeting last Wednesday in Vittoria Hall on Western Ave. and Madison St. at 2 P. M., to raise funds by subscription for the ...

    Italian
    I G, II D 10, III B 2, III H, II F
  • Bulletin Italian Chamber of Commerce -- [Unknown date]
    Occupy Fine New Business Home

    Bragno & Mustari, well known Importers and Wholesalers of Italian and other foreign food products, are now located in their new four story and basement building at South Halsted & Forquer Streets. Their business is increasing rapidly.

    Much favorable comment was occasioned some three or four months ago in local wholesale grocery circles, by the announcement that Bragno & Mustari, of this city, were soon to have a new business home, several times larger than their old quarters at 718 South Halsted Street.

    It is therefore interesting to note, that they are now comfortably installed in the new building erected by them, which they have occupied since February 15, and which is a fine new four story and basement structure at 906-910 South Halsted Street, south west corner, Forquer Street.

    2

    It is one of the finest and most pretentious business structures in that part of the city. It has a frontage of 50 feet on Halsted Street and 120 feet on Forquer Street. The firm is occupying a part of the first floor and all of the upper three floors, in this way giving themselves several times the floor space available at the old Halsted Street premises, resulting in a sweeping improvement of service. The large corner section of the ground floor is now occupied by the Chicago branch of the Banco di Napoli (Bank of Italy), which is the oldest banking institution in the world.

    The firm of Bragno & Mustari is among the largest and best in the West of importers and wholesalers in foods from the Mediterranean countries, particularly Italy and Greece. Its business has been established for upwards of a quarter of a century. By careful attention to the details of the business the management has, by up-to-date and efficient methods, honorable dealing, and by handling only quality products, made their concern one of the 3most successful and prosperous firms in the country handling the same class of products. It has a reputation second-to-none for fair dealing and high quality, as well as for the excellent service dispensed to the trade. The firm's trade, which has been increasing at a rapid rate during recent years, is not limited to the local field by any means, for it carries on a large shipping business with points far from this city, supplying many large grocers, delicatessen stores and dealers.

    This concern is one of the best examples of the energetic foreign-born merchants enterprise, for F. Bragno & C. Mustari, members of the firm, are of that class of Italian born citizen and business man which demonstrates to the American public the fact that if men have it in them they can make a decided success, whether in their native land or not. To say that Messrs. Bragno & Mustari are typically successful Chicago business men is sufficient to convey the impression of aggressive methods, integrity and fair dealing.

    4

    In its business home made necessary by rapidly increasing business, the firm has entered upon a new epoch in its successful career and one that will intrench it even more strongly in the American foreign goods market. At any rate, it promises even greater achievements in the future.

    We have reprinted this article published in the review, Banker, Merchant and Manufacturer, to prove that the American press is beginning to notice the Italians who honorably distinguish themselves in the commercial field.

    N. D. R.

    Bragno & Mustari, well known Importers and Wholesalers of Italian and other foreign food products, are now located in their new four story and basement building at South Halsted & ...

    Italian
    II A 2, III H, II F, IV
  • Chicago Italian Chamber of Commerce -- [Unknown date]
    Italian Industries in Chicago. the Chicago Macaroni Company

    The Chicago Macaroni Company, which until recently occupied very modest quarters, has developed in a manner that promises to make it one of the outstanding factories of its kind in the world.

    The continued development of this concern made it necessary to build additional space so that its building now measures 413 ft. in length; and 130 ft. in width. The building and land are now valued at $600,000. It is situated at Sangamon, Canalport, and Morgan streets, on the Burlington Railroad. It employs 300 people and the daily output of its products is 150,000 pounds.

    2

    The great demand for the products of the Chicago Macaroni Company, is justified by their quality and service. Pure Durum Wheat is used exclusively and the modern and complete equipment permits the company to satisfy every taste with its 82 varieties of macaroni and egg noodles.

    It is no exaggeration to say that Chicago Macaroni Company has contributed the most to popularizing this tasty and select dish; and this is because of the foresight and integrity of the founders of this company.

    Consolidating with the two importers of Italian food products, A. Morici & Co., and G. Matalone, in May, 1928, it now has capital exceeding two million dollars.

    Officials are Fred Matalone, president; Philip Morici, vice president; Stephen Matalone, secretary; and general manager; and Antonio Morici, treasurer.

    The Chicago Macaroni Company, which until recently occupied very modest quarters, has developed in a manner that promises to make it one of the outstanding factories of its kind in ...

    Italian
    II A 2, III H, II F