The Chicago Foreign Language Press Survey was published in 1942 by the Chicago Public Library Omnibus Project of the Works Progress Administration of Illinois. The purpose of the project was to translate and classify selected news articles that appeared in the foreign language press from 1855 to 1938. The project consists of 120,000 typewritten pages translated from newspapers of 22 different foreign language communities of Chicago.

Read more about this historic project.

Filter by Date

  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- May 12, 1879
    Real Estate

    Simon Mandell bought a plot on Michigan Avenue south of 32nd Street. The frontage is forty-four feet, and he paid $190 a front foot. He intends to build his own home on the site.

    Simon Mandell bought a plot on Michigan Avenue south of 32nd Street. The frontage is forty-four feet, and he paid $190 a front foot. He intends to build his own ...

    Jewish
    II F
  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- June 19, 1879
    Real Estate Sale of Property Belonging to the German National Bank

    A public auction was held yesterday at 11 A. M. in front of the Republic Life Insurance Company's [office], and the real-estate holdings of the defunct German National Bank were sold to the highest bidders. Flower and Mason were the auctioneers. We append a list of the sales.

    Lots 9, 10, and 11, block 2, in Race and Pearson's subdivision, a part of the W. 1/2 of the S. E. 1/4 of section 23, T. 39, R. 13 E., corner Ogden Avenue and Central Park Avenue, Lawndale, 75 feet on Central Park Avenue and 147.6 feet on Ogden Avenue, together with a large three-story brick building, barn, etc., with all the latest improvements; mortgage on these properties $7,000; Van H. Higgins obtained them for $250.

    2

    Lot 23, 12 feet east of lot 22 in block 5, Vernon Park addition to Chicago, three marble-front buildings, numbers 37, 39, and 41 Macalister Place, facing Vernon Park, Chicago; John Coughlan obtained 37 Macalister Place for $2,237; numbers 39 and 41 were bought by Simeon Strauss for $2,300 and $2,375 respectively.

    Lots 4, 5, and 6, block 2, in D. S. Lee's addition to Chicago, section G. T. 39, R. 14 E., three vacant lots on Hoyne Street between North Avenue and Ewing Place, east front, City of Chicago; lot 4 brought $500, paid by Simeon Strauss; the other two were bid in by Phillip Rosenberg for $525 and $475.

    Lots 33, 34, 35, 37, and 38, block 1, in D. S. Lee's addition to Chicago, section 6, T. 39, R. 13 E., five vacant lots on Hoyne Street and North Avenue, west front, City of Chicago; the three first lots were obtained by Simeon Strauss at $400 each; the remainder were brought by Charles Bodock for $1275.

    3

    Lots 13, 14, and 15, block 13, in Hansbrough and Hess' subdivision in the E. 1/2 of the S. W. 1/4 of section 36, T.40, R. 13 E., three lots, corner North Avenue and Boulevard, facing Humboldt Park on the south, 184 feet on North Avenue by 175 feet on Boulevard, City of Chicago; Charles R. Steele bought lots 13 and 14 for $1,480; E. Baggott obtained lot 15 for $1,650.

    Lot 12, block 12, in Hansbrough and Hess' subdivision of the E. 1/2 of the S. W. 1/4 of section 36, T. 40, R. 13 E., fronting on Boulevard between Wabansia and Bloomington Streets, Town of Jefferson; sold to Charles R. Steele for $380.

    The northern 40 feet of lot 17 and all lots 18 and 19 in Elisha Bailey's subdivision of the north 20 acres of the N. E. 1/4 of the S. W. 1/4 of section 10, T. 38, R. 14 E., facing South Park on South Park Avenue, near the corner of 21st Street, 200 feet on South Park Avenue, 400 feet deep.....

    4

    Lots 25 and 26 in Fleshman's division....and several others....were withdrawn from the sale because a fair price could not be obtained.

    Lot 5 in Tracy M. Oviatt's subdivision of the N. 1/2 of the S. E. 1/4 of the N. E. 1/4 of section 3, T. 38, R. 14 E., on 41st Street, third lot east of Champ-lain Avenue; bought by M. Felsenthal for $370.

    Lot 5 in R. O. Sprogle's subdivision and lost 24, 25, and 26 in Campbell's subdivision of block 4, in Morris et al., and their subdivision of the N. 1/2 of the S. E. 1/4 of the N. E. 1/4 of section 3, T. 38, R. 14 E., with a two-story-and-basement brick house, 964 West Polk Street; sold to H. L. Barney for $1,540.

    Lots 1 to 28 inclusive in Isaac Greenebaum's subdivision of the north 4 acres 5of the E. 10 65/100 acres of the W. 1/4 of the S. W. 1/4 (north of road) of section 11, T. 39, R. 13 E.; one half (14) the above lots face Central Park, and the other half (14) face Davlin Avenue, between Fulton Street and the Chicago and North Western Railway; M. Felsenthal obtained this property for $3,770.

    Lots 17 to 26, inclusive, in block 3, Humboldt Park Residence Association's subdivision of the S. W. 1/4 of the N. E. 1/4 of section 6, T. 29, R. 13 E., facing Humboldt Park, between Moltke and Bismarck Streets; bought by Henry Leopold for $1,750.

    The east 18 feet of lot 18 and all lots 19 and 20 in block 13, Union Park, second addition to Chicago, Carroll Avenue, south front, between St. John's Place and Union Park Place; bought by Reiley for $1,530.

    6

    The north half of the entire piece, with the exception of the east 165 feet, of the N. E. 1/4 of the S. W. 1/4 of section 3, T. 38 N., R. 14E., starting from the northwest corner of South Park Boulevard and 44th Street, then north 147 feet along the west line of the aforesaid Boulevard, then parallel on the west with the north line of 44th Street to the west line of the aforesaid land, then south on the west line of the aforesaid land to the north line of 44th Street, then east along the north line of 44th Street to the starting point; this was bought for $3,825 by C. R. Steele.

    Lot 28 and 10 feet of lot 29 in block 35 of the Canal Trustees' subdivision of section 7, T. 39 N., R. 14 E., fronting on Carroll Avenue, Chicago, 60 feet wide, 123 4/10 feet long, with three two-story wooden buildings; John D. Humann bought this for $3,425.

    The sale brought in a total of $39,645. [Translator's note: Checking the figures reveals that the sale produced $39,657.]

    A public auction was held yesterday at 11 A. M. in front of the Republic Life Insurance Company's [office], and the real-estate holdings of the defunct German National Bank were ...

    German
    II F, II A 2
  • Skandinaven -- July 29, 1879
    Real-Estate Owners Protest Building of "L"

    A petition is being circulated protesting the building of the elevated. The petition asks those involved, especially the Civic Council, to "come down to earth and stay there."

    The Scandinavians, especially the Danes around Lake and Peoria, Lake and Kinzie, and Lake and Milwaukee, are the main objectors. [Translator's note:-- The Danes and Norwegians living in the district along Milwaukee Avenue from Lake Street to Chicago Avenue, believed that the "L" would lover real-estate values. The same thing occurred along Bake Street, out they did not get sufficient signatures. On the South Side, the people compromised and agreed on condition that the "L" should be built in the alley between Wabash and State; therefore it was called the "Alley 'L'. "Later the Scandinavians along Milwaukee Avenue regretted the petition, but it was too late--the new franchise had been voted on in the City Council, the line to run west, where the Metropolitan "L" now is located.

    2

    The original franchise specified that the "L" run along Milwaukee Avenue to Chicago Avenue, later to be extended to what was then called Armitage Road.

    Every original franchise issued in Chicago was contested by the people. Some believed that the trains would fall into the street; others that the locomotives then used would set fire to the wooden buildings along the right of way. Many such reasons were given to justify the petitions.

    The Scandinavians also, in many cases, fought "Baron" Yerkes' cable cars, primarily because of the numerous accidents and delays.]

    A petition is being circulated protesting the building of the elevated. The petition asks those involved, especially the Civic Council, to "come down to earth and stay there." The Scandinavians, ...

    Norwegian
    II F, I F 6, I F 4, I M
  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- August 04, 1879
    Real Estate

    Dreyer and Company has bought thirty-seven acres at the corner of Ashland Avenue and 47th Street. The company has built sidewalks (along the streets which traverse the property) on Paulina, Laflin, Loomis, 48th and 49th Streets, and on two additional streets which the company constructed: Justino and Dryer Streets; also, water mains have been installed.

    The company's progressiveness has produced results; thirty-five houses have been built in their subdivision--twenty within the last three months--all of them owned and occupied by stock yards workers. Another five homes will be built soon, and eleven other houses will be moved unto their subdivision. As the subdivision is not within the fire limits, wooden buildings are permitted. The majority of the homes erected cost less than $500 each.

    Lots on Ashland Avenue and 47th Street cost $200 to $300, others are offered for $150 to $175.

    2

    If the buyers pay spot cash, then the company gladly provides a substantial advance to help defray building costs, but so far only three people have availed themselves of the opportunity; most of them use their own money.

    This new subdivision--barely a year old--has good transportation facilities by horsecar to the city, and yet is sufficiently removed from the stock yards to avoid smoke from the many factories in the vicinity.

    It won't take long for every available lot to be sold.....

    Dreyer and Company has bought thirty-seven acres at the corner of Ashland Avenue and 47th Street. The company has built sidewalks (along the streets which traverse the property) on Paulina, ...

    German
    II F, II A 2
  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- October 06, 1879
    Real-Estate Transactions

    Jacob Beidler bought a three-story building on Madison Street, near Laflin Street, for $25,000.

    Edward S. Dreyer sold the property on the northeast corner of Oak and Bremer Streets, 168 1/2 by 100 feet, to the City of Chicago for $11,500.

    Mr. Mueller sold the property on the southeast corner of Adams Street and Ogden Avenue, 94 by 132 1/2 feet, to Mr. Liebenstein for $5,150.

    Emma J. Vesburg bought the property on Butterfield Street, north of 29th Street, 44 1/2 by 100 feet, for $10,000.

    M. Hammel and E. Hammel sold the property on Cass Street, north of Pearson 2Street, 25 by 111 feet, to Fred Wacker for $4,300.

    A number of factories and warehouses are nearing completion, among them:

    A brewery which Schmidt and Glade are building on Grant Place at an estimated cost of $60,000;

    A furniture factory which Conrad Seipp (the brewer) is building at Van Buren and Franklin Streets at an estimated cost of $40,000;

    A foundry which the firm of Fuerst and Bradley are building at Jefferson and Fulton Streets at an estimated cost of $25,000.

    Jacob Beidler bought a three-story building on Madison Street, near Laflin Street, for $25,000. Edward S. Dreyer sold the property on the northeast corner of Oak and Bremer Streets, 168 ...

    German
    II F, II A 2
  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- November 17, 1879
    Real-Estate Transfer

    S. McKenney sold the property on West Adams Street, near Oakland Avenue, 40 by 70 feet, to John Sigwalt for $10,000.

    S. McKenney sold the property on West Adams Street, near Oakland Avenue, 40 by 70 feet, to John Sigwalt for $10,000.

    German
    II F
  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- November 24, 1879
    Real-Estate Transactions

    The building site on West Adams Street, 177 by 250 feet, was sold by the Master in Chancery to Ellis Kaufmann for $12,000.

    The building site on Cass Street, near Indiana Street, 20 by 75 feet, was sold by Jacob Lauer to Daniel Weaver for $5,500.

    The building site on West Adams Street, 177 by 250 feet, was sold by the Master in Chancery to Ellis Kaufmann for $12,000. The building site on Cass Street, near ...

    German
    II F
  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- December 08, 1879
    Real-Estate Transactions

    The building site on Lake Street, 80 feet east of La Salle Street, north front, 40 by 180 feet, sold by the trustees of the Shaw Institute to Fredolin Madlener for $28,000.

    The building site on Spruce Street, 120 feet west of Loomis Street, south front, 48 by 111 feet, and other property, was sold by Charlotte Ketz, to Joseph T. Quinn for $8,000.

    The property on North Halsted Street, near Marine Hospital, east front, 11/2 acres with building, was sold by A. Gottig and C. H. Gottig to Thomas L. Darlow for $10,000.

    The building site on Sherman Street, 175 feet north of Harrison Street, east front, 75 by 94 feet was sold by Sidney Meyers and others to George A. Seaverns for $7,800.

    2

    The property on Schiller Street, between Clark and La Salle Streets, south front, 96 by 66 feet, was sold by Bernhard Heing to H. J. Kemper and W. Kemper for $7,000.

    The building site on Lake Street, 80 feet east of La Salle Street, north front, 40 by 180 feet, sold by the trustees of the Shaw Institute to Fredolin Madlener ...

    German
    II F, II A 2
  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- December 15, 1879
    Real-Estate Transfers

    The Master in Chancery sold the five-acre tract of land on Ashland Avenue, northeast corner on 18th Street extending to the southwest corner of 16th Street, east front, 145 by 125 feet, to Elis Kaufman for $23,200.

    The Master in Chancery sold the property on Ashland Avenue, northeast corner of Madison Street, west front, 133 by 117 feet, to Elis Kaufman for $23,200.

    Sarah Turner sold the property on West Madison Street, northwest corner of Ann Street, south front, 24 3/4 by 100 feet, to Dennis McCarthy for $8,550.

    Wilhelmina Hegerhorst sold the property on West Twelfth Street, southeast corner of Loomis Street, north front, 26 2/10 by 124 feet, to Frank E. Schubert for $10,000.

    The Master in Chancery sold the five-acre tract of land on Ashland Avenue, northeast corner on 18th Street extending to the southwest corner of 16th Street, east front, 145 by ...

    German
    II F, II A 2
  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- December 24, 1879
    Real Estate

    Building site on 58th Street, southeast corner of Steward Avenue; dated Dec. 22, 1879. Sold by Ferdinand C. Hotz to Jane F. Taylor, for $5,000.

    Building site on Champlain Avenue, southwest corner of 58th Street; 5 acres, dated Dec. 22, 1879. Sold by Elias Greenebaum to Marshal Field, for $15,000.

    The lots, No. 179 [plural tense is used] West Madison Street; dated Dec. 20. Sold by John Cochrane to George Reichhold for $10,000.

    Building lot on Dearborn Avenue, 118 ft. north of Indiana Street; western frontage, 20 by 76 feet, dated Nov. 26. Sold by S.S. and G.W. Bittinger to Peter E. Bostler for $9,500.

    Building site on Schiller Street, 94 feet east of North Clark Street; northern front, 181 1/2 by 80 feet, dated Dec. 24. Sold by G.H. Casler to Maria M. Gross, 2for $6,000.

    Building site on Canal Street, southwest corner of Monroe Street; eastern front, 80 by 701/2 feet, and other property [no details]; dated Oct. 15. Sold by David G. Swartz to Israel H. Johns for $8,000.

    Building site on Archer Avenue, 125 feet west of Haynes Court; northern front, 85 3/4 by 100 feet; also a parcel 375 feet by 100 feet in the same block; dated Dec. 22. Sold by Matthew Haynes to John Neise for $6,600.

    Building lot on Wabash Avenue, 100 feet north of 39th Street; western front, 221/2 by 174 feet; dated Dec. 22. Sold by S. M. and A. Morse to Julius Rosenthal for $11,000.

    Building lot on 18th Street, 132 feet east of Indiana Avenue; northern front, 22 by 75 feet (and other property) [no details]; dated Dec. 20. Sold by Julius Rosenthal to Sarah M. Morse for $9,000.

    Fifteen building lots in Mason and McKichan's [Subdivision] West 1/2 of Northwest

    3

    1/4, section 14, 38, 14; dated Dec. 22. Sold by Moses H. Naber to Loeb and Marniheimer for $6,000.

    Building site on Lincoln Street, eastern front, 122 by 115 feet and contiguous property, joining the site in the rear, 167 by 110 feet; dated Dec. 22. Sold by Sarah A. Steinagel to George B. Swift for $5,000.

    Building site on 58th Street, southeast corner of Steward Avenue; dated Dec. 22, 1879. Sold by Ferdinand C. Hotz to Jane F. Taylor, for $5,000. Building site on Champlain Avenue, ...

    German
    II F, II A 2