Filter by Date
Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- July 11, 1867C. Schweizer and Company The Largest Business of its Kind in Chicago Founded in 1847
Last Tuesday the toy, novelty, and fancy goods business of J. D. Weber, 184 Lake Street, was sold to C. Schweizer and Company. For years, this great enterprise has been favorably known to the public of Chicago and also to the farm population of Cook and Du Page counties, since the firm always has carried a large and varied stock of goods, has given its customers ideal service, and has sold its goods at very reasonable prices.
The new owners have known the business for many years. Mr. Schweizer is an old employe of Weber's and has had extensive experience under other proprietors of similar stores; he is thus well qualified to carry on the business.
The new proprietors will continue both branches, the wholesale as well as the retail, and one of the partners will soon make a trip to Europe to purchase the 2most modern goods available on the market there.
The firm is located at 184 Lake Street in a three-story building, where it displays a greater variety of merchandise than any other Chicago store dealing in the same line of merchandise.
Last Tuesday the toy, novelty, and fancy goods business of J. D. Weber, 184 Lake Street, was sold to C. Schweizer and Company. For years, this great enterprise has been ...
II A 2
Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- September 30, 1867For Tradesmen, Mechanics, and Artists "The Patent Law of the United States," and the "Scientific Americans" are two of the best illustrated periodicals for mechanics.
Book Store and Rental Library,
lll Monroe Street.
[Translator's note: This advertisement was translated because of the reference to a rental library. From all appearances this was one of the first rental libraries in the city of Chicago, if not the first. After having exhausted all sources of research available at Newberry Library, I find no information that a rental library existed here prior to the year 1867. Probably Mr. Buehler had books on mechanics which were not to be had on the local market, but which were in great demand at the time, and found it more profitable to rent them for a consideration than to sell them.]
Eduard Buehler, Book Store and Rental Library, lll Monroe Street. [Translator's note: This advertisement was translated because of the reference to a rental library. From all appearances this was one ...
II A 2, II B 2 d 2, II B 2 a
Secondary listingsGerman // Contributions and Activities > Avocational and Intellectual > Intellectual > Publications > Periodicals (II B 2 d 2) ?
German // Contributions and Activities > Avocational and Intellectual > Intellectual > Libraries (II B 2 a) ?
Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- October 16, 1867Meeting of German Saloonkeepers
Yesterday the German saloonkeepers of the city met at 23 West Madison Street to elect a delegate to serve on the Anti-Temperance Committee. All the men present were convinced that in view of the peculiar circumstances in which the saloonkeepers of Chicago find themselves today--everyone of them is prey to the whims and arbitrary acts of the police department--it is absolutely necessary to organize to protect their interests. In various parts of the city the outlawed Sunday laws are enforced more or less strictly, depending upon circumstances; some saloonkeepers are being favored and others are wronged.
After the meeting had been called to order by Mr. Kuper, the chairman, of the Committee, Wilhelm Rintelmann was appointed chairman of the meeting. Wilhelm Schaefer was unanimously elected as a delegate to the Anti-Temperance Committee, and a committee of seven members was chosen to 2interview all saloonkeepers with reference to organizing an association of saloonkeepers.
Yesterday the German saloonkeepers of the city met at 23 West Madison Street to elect a delegate to serve on the Anti-Temperance Committee. All the men present were convinced that ...
I B 1, II A 2
Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- December 24, 1867Undesirable Insurance
Yesterday we were visited by Mr. A. Gentzel, who formerly operated a cigar business at 57 West Lake Street; Mr. Gentzel's property at that address was insured for $1000 by the Western Phoenix Insurance Company. The building in which Mr. Gentzel carried on his business was burned to the ground by a fire which occurred six months ago. Since Mr. Gentzel had paid his insurance premiums regularly, he expected that the insurance company would discharge its obligations promptly. When he presented his demand for payment at the office of the company, he was told that he would receive $900 on the 20th of December.
Because he had previously made several vain attempts to collect the money and had been repeatedly told that the president of the company, who allegedly had sole authority to make disbursements, was absent, he thought it advisable to ask us and several of his friends to witness his next effort to obtain the money due him, and he asked us to note the way in which his demand would be rejected; he was certain that this next effort would be no more successful 2than the previous ones had been.
Mr. Gentzel took his attorney with him for the purpose of enforcing his just claim; and so he, his attorney, several prominent German citizens, and we, entered the office of the Western Phoenix Insurance Company. The attorney explained to the office attendant, who introduced himself as the vice-president of the company, the purpose of our visit, and received the "regular" reply--that the president was out of town and that nobody else, not even he, had authority to pay claims.
When several of Mr. Gentzel's German friends pointed out that this same excuse had been frequently advanced, and that the matter was taking a serious aspect, the vice-president withdrew into the inner sanctum of his office and said, "Gentlemen, this is my office, and if you have come here to intimidate me, I shall call a policeman and have him eject you".
Of course, it was futile to make further remonstrations under such circumstances, 3so we left the office.
We have information from reliable sources that this is not the first time that the vice-president of the Western Phoenix Insurance Company has advanced the absence of the president of the company as an excuse for avoiding the payment of legally justified claims, and an article published in the Banking And Insurance Chronicle of December 19 strengthens our conviction that the Western Phoenix Insurance Company is always ready to issue policies, but can be persuaded only by special "inducements" to pay losses.
Our German citizens should consider this angle very carefully when choosing a company in which to insure their property.
Yesterday we were visited by Mr. A. Gentzel, who formerly operated a cigar business at 57 West Lake Street; Mr. Gentzel's property at that address was insured for $1000 by ...
I D 1 a, II B 2 d 1, II A 2
Secondary listingsGerman // Contributions and Activities > Avocational and Intellectual > Intellectual > Publications > Newspapers (II B 2 d 1) ?
German // Contributions and Activities > Vocational > Industrial and Commercial (II A 2) ?
Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- September 01, 1870A German National Bank for Chicago (Editorial)
An act of the last Congress authorizes the Controller of Currency to organize several new national banks and permits the circulation of about a million dollars in paper money in the state of Illinois. The Honorable H. R. Hullburdt, Controller of Currency, deserves the gratitude of Chicago's Germans, because he appropriated one fourth of this million for the establishment of a German national bank in this city, providing, at the same time, that this bank may increase its capital to $1,000,000.
The Controller of Currency has entrusted the firm of Henry Greenbaum and Company with the task of organizing the German National Bank. The choice is very fortunate. It is hardly necessary to point out that this banking house enjoys an enviable reputation, not only among Chicago businessmen, but also in the commercial circles of the entire country. it is a well-established fact that the 2American public has great confidence in Mr. Greenbaum's institution. And the fact that the list of stockholders of the new institution contains the names of many prominent local Germans is directly attributable to the confidence which the commercial world has in the Greenbaum Bank, and especially in the firm's president, Mr. Henry Greenbaum.
The following German business houses are among the stockholders of the German National Bank of Chicago: Henry Greenbaum and Company, bankers; Beck and Wirth, wholesale tobaccors; J. and E. Jaeger, glass and porcelain ware; Bergho, Rubling and Company, toys; Theodor Weber, boots and shoes; Peter Schuttler, wagon manufacturer; Leopold and Austrian, commission and cartage; Andrew Schall, real-estate brokers; Hart Brothers, manufacturers; Leopold Kuh and Company; Edmund Juessen, revenue collector; John Hertling, distiller; Joseph Liebenstein, wholesaler; Charles Rietz and Brothers, lumber; Louis Suess, liquors; Simon Floersheim, secretary of Germania Fire Insurance Company; and Adolph Loeb, real estate.3
The native American element was represented by the following prominent men and firms: Marshal Field, of Field, Leiter and Company; Charles F. Grey, leather goods; and David A. Gage, City Treasurer.
Next Saturday a board of directors will be elected at the German Savings Bank, as may be seen from the announcement that appears in our advertising columns today.
As soon as the necessary preparations have been made, the German National Bank of Chicago will enter upon its business career. The Greenbaum Bank will serve as a basis for the new institution and will be absorbed by it. Truly that will be a firm foundation for the new bank.
Through careful management the firm of Greenbaum and Company, especially the trust department has built up a much larger clientele than any other private banks of Chicago can boast of, and this fact, together with the favorable prospects previously alluded to, cannot fail to result in an expansion and a 4rating that will make the German National Bank of Chicago the pride of all local Germans.
In connection with this matter we cannot help but acknowledge the success of Mr. Greenbaum's past activity. It was but a short time ago that he organized the German Savings Bank, which already enjoys great popularity, and now he is busily engaged in the establishment of another useful German institution. Thus he is erecting a monument that will long bear witness to the fact that, although he is an American citizen in the full sense of the word, he always has a warm heart and an open hand, whenever it is a matter of promoting German interests and German honor.
An act of the last Congress authorizes the Controller of Currency to organize several new national banks and permits the circulation of about a million dollars in paper money in ...
II A 2, IV
Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- May 30, 1871(No headline)
(Report on the Peace Celebration runs to about 18,000 words. Only a very abbreviated abstract can be of interest. The Staats-Zeitung estimates the number of people who participated in the parade at 25,000, the number of hourses 11,000, and the cost at $200,000.) "The parade has the importance of a victorious battle against the prejudices and erroneous opinions of the other nationalities."
Exactly at 4:30 A:M drums and trumpets awakened the sleeping on all sides of the city, and a few minutes later 101 cannon shots - fired by Captain Tobey at Lake Park rang out over the city. The streets were at 6 A:M busier than they are on great holidays at noon. The centers of activities were on North Clark and North Wells Streets. In the German House, the headquarters of the parade committee (North Wells) the historical part of the parade - 500 men and boys - donned its costumes. Punctually at 9:15 the participants in the parade started from there towards the real starting where they arrived at the intended time.
On the west side the festival marshal and adjutants reported to the Assistant, Peter Hand, at exactly 7 A:M. It was hard work to bring order into the chaos, 2but against all hope the head of the train started on its way already at 10 o'clock. The route of the march, by the way, was changed at the last moment so that the parade marched past the windows of the Tribune, Staats-Zeitung, Evening Post, Union, Mail and so forth. The police functioned excellently, policemen on horseback having "cleaned up" the streets for the sake of the parade.
The head of the parade was composed of Police Commissioners Gund (one of the festival marshals), at the left and right of him two police superintendents in gala uniforms. On a fiery grey horse followed Capt. Miller with 20 policemen on horseback, Capt. Hickey with 20 policemen on horseback, and Capt. Fox likewise. Then the leaders of the police and the band of the Great Western Light Guard.
Then the Festival Marshal, Henry Greenebaum, with a brilliant staff: General-Adjutant Dominick Klutsch, First Assistant Marshal; Peter hand, Second Assistant Marshal: Frank Schweinfurth, Third Assist. Marshal: August Neuhaus, 3First Assist. General-Adjutant: John Herting, Second Assist: General-Adjutant: Henry Schmehl, and approximately 60 aides de camp. In an open car followed the Festival Organizer, Mr. George Schneider, the Festival orator, Mr. Franz Arnold, the Festival Director, Mr. Otto Lob, and several more cars with members of the arrangements committee.
The First Division was accompanied by Nitschke's music corps in Prussian uniforms. Then came a squadron of Blue Hussars under Captain Matthieu. In spite of the short time of their organization they were splendidly in trim. Their uniforms were, to put it into few words, genuine and immaculate. The 1st Regiment of the National Guards, under Col. H. Ostermann, started, after long preparations for the first time. It was 400 men strong, of whom 80 wore spiked helmets with the tuft of feathers. One saw that they have an able commander in Col. Leon, because they all kept themselves as straight as if they were parading before old William himself. The German Field Battery of four pieces which then followed, led by Captain V. Reisenegger, looked like well-trained German troops and the same is to be said of the Red Hussars under the Command of Captain Munch. This whole military Division, aroused, especially among the German onlookers, immeasurable enthusiasm.4
The 2nd Division belonged entirely to the Lodges. They marched in the following order:
Marshal of the Division: Col. F. Rollshausen
Assistants: Otto Fischer, Heinrich Schroder and Jacob
The Music Corps
Liberty Lodge No 6
Order of the Sons of Herrmann
The Druids - Another Band - The Harugari.
It is natural that the Lodges impress most by the development of masses, and they showed that they are indeed very numerous. The Sons of Herrmann, who had to leave some of their members to other organization (like all of the societies) appeared about 600 men strong. They count approximately 900 members in Chicago. Their Festival Marshal was Mr. Heinrich Schroder.5
The historical part of the parade consisted of the 3rd, 4th and 5th Division. The 3rd Division represented the oldest times of German history. The Marshal was Mr. Henry Kenkel and the Assistants, Gustav Giese, Adolph Muller and Wilhelm Diefenbacher. They were followed by a band, and by Hermann the Cherusean (Herr Heinrich Glade) and Thusnelda(Frau Muller). Then came 40 Teutons on horseback, and 60 on foot in old costumes, flesh colored tricots, bear skins over the saddles and shoulders.
Then came Barbarossa (Mr. Henry Frick) preceding a band, ten bearers of lances, twelve Hospitallers, completely in mail, with helmets, shields and swords, three Heralds, four Templars, eight Pages etc. He was followed by 33 Princes and Knights in most sumptuous costumes. Still to the same Division belonged a representation of the Age of Inventions. The Illinois Staats-Zeitung presented on two large wagons the most recent development of the art of printing. While on the first carriage type setters were busily at work, on the second a steam press threw steam out of its chimney high into the air. During the parade the press was kept busy printing the Kutschke Song" in six languages, with the music by Otto Lob. A poem by Governor Gustav Koerner was likewise distributed to the public.6
Next came 350 shoemakers with two carriages; on the first Hans Sachs, impersonated by Jakob A. Schmidt; on the second Hans von Sagan ( Adam Imhof). Finally the Middle Ages were concluded with a representation of the Peasants' War. In the center six famous knights:
Ulrich von Hutten Herr S. Danden Gotz von Berlichingen Herr Jac Enders Franz von Sickingen Dr. Fr. Koch Ulrich von Wurttemberg Herr Kretzschmar Fvohnsberg Herr Miehle
The Fourth Division pictured the Modern Ages. Fifteen musicians were followed by the Marshal, Wilhelm T. Wallis and his assistants Jacob Thielen, Wilh. Burkhardt and Otto Igel. The Great Elector was preceded by 12 Grenadiers and two officers carrying banners. He was followed by ten Cuirassiers, then Frederic the Great, six Hussars, eight Grenadiers....7
The Free Singing Association represented Handl and Hayden, arranged by Messrs. Philipp Kroech and Henry Baust.
The "Orpheus " had a magnificent carriage drawn by six horses with colossal Beethoven bust, surrounded by seven beautiful ladies. The whole created by architect Theodor Karl.
The Germania Male Choir had four cars representing all the roles of the opera. "Freischultz". Arrangement by Messrs. A. Nover and Haarbleicher.
The Association Humor followed a copy of the Goethe-Schiller monument in Weimar, made by Herr Almendinger. The members dressed as German students. While some of the young fellows had not yet any scars on their faces, others could boast these honor marks of academic life. They were followed by an imposing carriage representing episodes from Schiller's poem, "The Bell",with a gigantic bell. in This car was the contribution of the Illinois Volks-Zeitung. There followed Alexander von Humboldt surrounded by mariners and miners (sent by Mr. Kraschell.
The Fifth Division represented the age of the Wars of Liberation, headed by 824 Turners, the Great Western Band, Division Marshal F. Metske with Assistants Wm. Wischendorff and C. H. Plautz. Then followed four carriages, arranged by Mr. Louis Kindt, representing the Lorelei, the "Watch on the Rhein", a Turn field and "Father Jahn". With this driving and marching a great number of Turners. (Father Jahn was given the motto: "Frisch, froh, frei und tren", a deliberate error, - his slogan having been: "Frisch, fromm, frohlich, frei".)
Then followed the Kaiser train. First, with splendid horsemensip, the Uhlans led by Col. Hugo Dreyer, and Lieut. Charles Hillscher, then the Imperial carriage drawn by six white horses with two jockeys. His majesty was very faithfully represented by Mr. Saddler. Crown Prince Frederick William was impersonated by Mr. Charles Kemper, the Dollar - Bismarck - pardon me - Bismarck by Herr E. H. Stein (this is a pun the Staats-Zeitung permits itself about one of its most faithful advertisers. Mr. Stein who sold everything in his department store for $1.) Mr. Wilh. Levy as Moltke was stern and silent.
The 6th Division consisted of 300 veterans of the Union War under Capt. Arthur Erbe. They aroused everywhere enthusiasm. Then followed the Union Veterans Assistance Association, 50 men and a car with six horses, and in an open carriage three veterans of 1812:9
Major Marsches who fought at Waterloo and Leipzig Carl Bose non-commissioned officer under Gen. York and Ludwig Klapp, a hussar under Blucher and also a veteran of Leipzig and Waterloo.
Then came a car of the Schleswig-Holsteiners, followed by veterans of 1864 and 1866, also 1848 and 1849. Among the latter we observed Mr. Spanier. -
The 7th Division: Marshal T. B. Grunhut Assistants: John Kolsch, Ad. M. Heflebower, Philipp Steinmuller and Wilh. Heinemann.
The 7th Division was composed of post-officials and lithographers. On the top of a triumphal arch of one of the carriages sat the famous living post-eagle of Chicago. The profitableness of the art of lithography could be seen from the sumptuousness of the carriages of the lithographers, created by Mr. Louis Kurz. In this division also marched the Chicago Workers' Union, the Social Workers Union ("der sociale Arbeiter-Verein"), the Six Corners Club, the North Chicago Workers Union, the Great Union (workers' aid association), the Sixth Ward's Citizens Club, the Seventh Ward Club, and the South Chicago Workers Club I and II.10
The 8th Division belonged to the beer brewers, coopers and butchers. It was one of the most important inthe parade. Division Marshal: John A. Huck; Assistants K. G. Schmidt, Ferdinand Wheeler, Rudolph Wehrle, Moritz Berg. The brewers counted about 250 men and 23 cars.
(The extremely numerous poetic attempts on the parade cars may be exemplified by the following quatrain from a beer wagon:
"Die Manner deutscher Wissenschaft
Die Liebten stets den Gerstensaft
Oft uber Buchernund Papier
Erfrischte sie das braune Bier"
(German scholars always have loved the barley juice. Often while they were pouring over books and paper they were refreshed by brown beer).
While the milkmen had rhymed: -11
"Die Milch der Frommen Denkungsart
Die ist bei uns jetzt Futschke,
Die weil ganz Deutschland einig ward
Dusch Bismarck und durch Kitschke".
(The milk of pious thinking is now destroyed, because all Germany became unified through Bismarck and Kitschke)(Kutschke was the author of a humorous poem on Napoleon III.)
The butchers, 600 men, all on horseback, were led by Festival Marshal Koch, Division Marshal Morris Berg and the Section Marshals Wm. Reinhard, Gottlieb Schlecht and Mr. Wieland.
At the head rode 12 unusually large butchers with big axes, followed by a band of 12, also on horseback, a committee of 15 all on horseback, and five decorated carriages.
The 9th Division consisted of the bakers and milkmen. Division Marshal: Timothy Berdia, Assistants: Schnabel, Phil. Schweinfurth, Charles Harm. The 12bakers were particularly rich in poetical inspiration, declaring in one of their inscriptions the Germans to be "the leaven of spiritual fermentation. They stand in the whole world for progress and instruction".
The 10th Division: Division Marshal Franz Amberg; Assistants, Heinrich Amberg, Wilh. Gahne, Clemens Hirsch. The cabinet makers were led by their Marshal, T. Biersdorf, on horseback, and his Assistant, Cl. Helmetag.
The 11th Division: Division Marshal, Ambrose Andre; Assistants, Otto Neff and John Morper.
This division consisted of masons, stone cutters, chimney sweeps and house-painters. The Feast Marshal of the painters was Mr. H. Kleinofen. On their float, among other branches, portrait painting was represented by Herr Wallerstein, landscape Frank Boche, Fresco Kiersdorf, drawing Wehrmann etc.
The 12th Division: Division Marshal: Isac Rutishauser - consisted of the Chicago Sharpshooters Guild, with their president, Mr. George Oertel, and their treasurer Mr. S. A. Deschoner.13
Then followed the Diana Hunting Club, led by president George Zirngiebel, the wine dealers with four floats arranged by Messrs. Dahinden and Schroeder, the Grutli Association, led by their president, Herr Enderis and his aides de camp General Lieb and Sam Kirchhoff.
The Grutli Association carried three flags; its own, the Swiss and the Stars and Stripes. On the top of their float was a rhymed inscription: "To celebrate German union, free Swiss are always ready". The German longshoremen came led by Mr. Martin Hessler.
The 13th Division, including nine cars full with school children and representation of the Germania Fire Insurance Company, Teutonia Life Insurance Company, the German National Bank, the German Savings Bank, and the Germania Bank, was led by Feast Marshal Theo Schintz (Assistants, Carl Wunsche and T. C. Richberg). The Marshal of the 14th, 15th 16th and 17th Divisions were: Jacob Gross, R. Charles Feldkamp, Carl Gindele, L. Wolf.
Two particularly luxurious floats, representing the city of Paris, were sent by Stein (of the dollar store), a globe, 6 ft. 8 high and costing $600. by Sonne's Book Store.; pyramids of musical instruments on four cars by J. Bauer 14and Company. Herr Ernst Knabe, of Baltimore, the head of the firm participated in the parade with his private equipage, likewise Herr Julius Bauer. In a car drawn by four horsex one saw the Messrs. H. Eisendrath, C. Knobelsdorff, C. Daegling and C. Hirsch, directors of the Teutonia, the only Life Insurance Company in the west founded and directed by Germans. The officers of the Germania Fire Insurance, the Messrs. F. Jager, S. Florsheim, A. Bauer, B. Lowenthal, Joseph Rollo and F. O. Affeld came in three open barouches.
A tribune had been erected near the North western wing of the Court House. Invitations had gone out to Governor Korner, Belleville; Fr. Hecker, Lebanon; Carl Schurz; Franz Sigel; Pastor Wagner, Freeport; and Judge T. B. Stallo, Cincinnati. The guests were addressed by Mr. Louis Wahl; in their name answered Mayor Mason. While the 14th Division passed the Court House a rainstorm hit the city, but in an hour and a half the weather had cleared up again.
The festival place was on the east side, in the so-called "Grove", and was adorned by a triumphal arch of 50 feet high, a tribune on which 1500 people found seats, two dance floors, 15 beer bars, enough tables to seat 10,000 hungry people at a time, thousands of colored lights and 8 calcium flames 15that made it almost as bright as in broad daylight. The orchestra was directed by Otto Lob. The first address was given by Feast President, Georg Schneider.
He said, after at length reviewing the history of German unification since Napoleon: "Peace at last prevails - and here, too, in the great Republic, we will forget that we as Germans did not have very numerous and sincere friends. It should have been different...when the dark spirit of slavery dominated the Republic, it was primarily Germans who collaborated with the Anglo-American opponents of slavery and helped to rid the country of the curse....And again a sombre spirit stalks through the country, corruption and immorality raise their Hydra heads. Gigantic monopolies threaten the free development and the well-being of the country. The great cities are honeycombed with corruption, like the Babel on the Seine, and the halls of the legislatures swarm with unscrupulous demagogues. Disinterested patriots look to the closed German phalanx as to the providential saviour. She comes! She comes! And when the battle starts who doubts the overthrow of the lie and the victory of true liberty, of right, and eternal truth? Long live the Republic! Long live united Germany!"
The next very long speech was made by Herr Frank Arnold: "The titanic struggle 16between the two most powerful nations of Europe was a fight for world domination between the Germanic and the Romanic element... The world belongs to the Teutons!... Italy, the Netherlands, England, Germany have marched at the head of civilization - France never!... Germany has created a literature before which the French must retreat...Who would today still read Racine or Voltaire?....In painting only a few things in French galleries are above mediocrity. What are the best French painters in comparison with a Cornelius, Kaulbach, Lessing, Schnorr and so on.... We ourselves, at this victory celebration, we will exclaim:.. Here, where freedom, united with education, makes prosperity possible for everybody, here we will show you in the old fatherland the way in political and social development, so that America be always as powerful as Germany, and Germany soon as free as America!"
The final speech was made by ex-Mayor Rice.
(Report on the Peace Celebration runs to about 18,000 words. Only a very abbreviated abstract can be of interest. The Staats-Zeitung estimates the number of people who participated in the ...
III B 3 a, I C, II A 1, II A 2, III H
Secondary listingsJewish // Attitudes > Own and Other National or Language Groups (I C) ?
German // Contributions and Activities > Vocational > Professional (II A 1) ?
German // Contributions and Activities > Vocational > Industrial and Commercial (II A 2) ?
German // Assimilation > Relations with Homeland (III H) ?
Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- August 12, 1871[The New German Savings Bank]
A year ago the German Savings Bank was born, and so vigorous has it proved to be that it has grown like no other savings bank either here or elsewhere. It has left its New York namesakes - that is to say - in their first stages of development far behind it, both in number of depositors and in the sum-total of deposits.
The deposits amounted to:
$141,005 on November 1, 1870 274,231 " February 1, 1871 346,702 " May 1, 1871 504,537 " August 1, 1871
that is to say, to more than half a million, and what is no less important, they were contributed by 2,780 depositors. The German Savings Bank in New York had after nine months of its existence only 1,900 depositors, and $232,000 deposited.
Such a success proves that the enterprise is built on names that inspire unusual confidence, and also proves the extraordinary business experience of Mr. Henry Greenebaum, who has been able to win as shareholders and 2directors men who know how to gain recognition for the new bank in the widest circles.
A year ago the German Savings Bank was born, and so vigorous has it proved to be that it has grown like no other savings bank either here or elsewhere. ...
II A 2, I D 1 a, IV
Secondary listingsGerman // Attitudes > Economic Organization > Capitalistic Enterprise > Big Business (I D 1 a) ?
Jewish // Representative Individuals (IV) ?
Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- August 19, 1871[E. H. Stein's Burial]
The burial of E. H. Stein took place yesterday from the house of the deceased, at 520 N. Dearborn. The grandmaster of the lodge to which Mr. Stein belonged, Mr. Spiegel, spoke at the coffin the prayers and formulas which the Masonic rites prescribes. Otherwise no religious or any other ceremonies were performed in the house. At one o'clock the procession of about thirty carriages started for Rosehill. Shortly before three, it arrived at the entrance of the cemetery.
The wind seemed to bring greetings from the old blackened Taborite city on the Moldau where stood the cradle of the deceased. Aside from the Masonic Lodge about thirty friends and acquaintances were present. None of the singing societies to which Mr. Stein belonged and who might have sung many a song about his generosity were represented.
Stein was a noble man and in that lay the secret of his popularity. He enjoyed no career in public office, and his business success, though great, would not have been sufficient to bring his name to everybody's tongue nor to make him the idol of his countrymen as well as of his American fellow citizens.
The burial of E. H. Stein took place yesterday from the house of the deceased, at 520 N. Dearborn. The grandmaster of the lodge to which Mr. Stein belonged, Mr. ...
IV, II A 2
Secondary listingsGerman // Contributions and Activities > Vocational > Industrial and Commercial (II A 2) ?
Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- October 14, 1871[The Great Fire]
Henry Greenbaum, chief of the well-known German bank, arrived yesterday from New York, and has immediately started the organization of a bank on the West Side. The firm hopes in a few days to be in full activity.
The rumor that the sisters Lammlein, whose piano playing has been praised by the Illinois Staats Zeitung, had come to harm in the fire has fortunately proved to be unfounded. They escaped (losing all their jewelry and furnishings) out of their burning apartment in Ontario Street and fled into that part of the 12th Ward that was formerly known as Holstein. At present they are the guests of Mr. H. Greenbaum, at Hubbard and Wood Street.
Henry Greenbaum, chief of the well-known German bank, arrived yesterday from New York, and has immediately started the organization of a bank on the West Side. The firm hopes in ...
II A 2, II D 10, IV
Secondary listingsGerman // Contributions and Activities > Benevolent and Protective Institutions > Foreign and Domestic Relief (II D 10) ?
German // Representative Individuals (IV) ?
Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- October 20, 1871[The Teutonic Life Insurance Company]
The whole content of the fireproof safes and vaults of the Teutonic Life Insurance Company, 160 La Salle Street, has been preserved and the company will be able to continue business without interruption.
The following telegram was sent yesterday by Henry Greenebaum and Company to London: Union Bank of London - Everything is back in business-like order. Our booksafes have resisted the fire. All our moneys, securities, books, and papers have been saved. Make this known through the Rentiers Office, or, if this impractical, please publish for us our business cards in the main papers of England and the Continent.
Henry Greenebaum and Company.
The whole content of the fireproof safes and vaults of the Teutonic Life Insurance Company, 160 La Salle Street, has been preserved and the company will be able to continue ...
II A 2, IV
Your search criteria returned no results.