Lietuva -- December 16, 1893The Purpose of Simonas Daukantas Society
December 10, a meeting was held by the society of Simonas Daukantas, the constitution was adopted, and after many discussions the meeting decided upon the following principles:
1. To spread education among Lithuanians, to teach the Lithuanian language, to propagate Lithuanian literature.
2. To establish a library, to keep all kinds of Lithuanian books and newspapers, and also books in other languages.
3. The society will celebrate all national holidays, and will present theatrical plays.
4. The society will take part in spiritual and material activities.2
5. The society will take part in American and European politics.
6. The society will collect relics for the Lithuanian Museum.
7. The society will help those Lithuanians who are seeking higher education.
8. The society will join the Lithuanian Catholic Alliance of America, and will never participate in any action against the Catholic religion. (Trans. note: - The society still exists, now as a liberal society, and does not participate in nor supports any religious activities.)3
Any Lithuanian of good morals and manners, and who is over sixteen years of age, can join this society.
All money from dues and donations will be used for the library of Lithuanian literature. The initiation fee is fifty cents. Monthly dues are fifteen cents.
Any member of this society may be fined or expelled from the society for any bad manners or bad activities.
Sick members must be visited by society members, and given spiritual and material aid.
At every meeting of this society scientific questions must be brought for discussion and for proper explanation.4
J. Kolesinskis gave one book, History of the Church; the Lithuanian Catholic Alliance of America gave one book, History of Europe, and another, The Manners of Ancient Lithuanians, of Samogitians and Mountaineers.
Also Mr. M. Nomeskis, who has a large book store in Tilzen Ost, Germany, donated sixteen copies of various books.
II B 1 d, II B 2 a, II B 2 b, II B 2 g, III B 2
Secondary listingsLithuanian // Contributions and Activities > Avocational and Intellectual > Intellectual > Libraries (II B 2 a) ?
Lithuanian // Contributions and Activities > Avocational and Intellectual > Intellectual > Museums (II B 2 b) ?
Lithuanian // Contributions and Activities > Avocational and Intellectual > Intellectual > Forums, Discussion Groups and Lectures (II B 2 g) ?
Lithuanian // Assimilation > Nationalistic Societies and Influences > Activities of Nationalistic Societies (III B 2) ?
Your search criteria returned no results.