The Chicago Foreign Language Press Survey was published in 1942 by the Chicago Public Library Omnibus Project of the Works Progress Administration of Illinois. The purpose of the project was to translate and classify selected news articles that appeared in the foreign language press from 1855 to 1938. The project consists of 120,000 typewritten pages translated from newspapers of 22 different foreign language communities of Chicago.

Read more about this historic project.

You are looking at one result from the Polish group.
This group has 5490 other articles.

This article was published in 1893.
1052 articles were published that year.

This article has a primary subject code of "Conventions and Conferences" (III B 4).
558 articles share this primary code.

  • Dziennik Chicagoski -- September 14, 1893
    Polish Roman Catholic Union under the Protection of the Blessed Virgin of Czestochowa Holds Convention in Chicago

    [Note: Organized in Chicago in 1887. Not affiliated with the Polish Roman Catholic Union of America.]

    The convention of the Polish Roman Catholic Union under the Protection of the Blessed Virgin of Czestochowa opened yesterday, September 12, at Pulaski Hall.

    Following the opening prayer, J. Herman, president of the organization, named J. Przymorski chairman, J. Kuczewski sergeant-at-arms, and O. Grochowski secretary.

    After the opening formalities were concluded, the delegates marched in a procession headed by the St. Gregory Krakus Society to St. Adalbert's church, where they 2attended Mass. Before the services, the Reverend J. Radziejewski addressed the delegates, commending them for their faithful adherence to the Catholic religion, an adherence which the last five difficult years had not succeeded in diminishing. He said that the Union sought to aid widows and orphans, that it helped preserve the Polish national spirit, and that it had nothing to do with the enemies of the Catholic Church. In conclusion, Father Radziejewski wished the Union every success, leaving it to the delegates to decide whether their organization should merge with one of the larger organizations or remain independent. He assured his listeners that God will always aid those who believe in Him. After Mass, the delegates returned to the convention hall.

    Chairman Przymorski made the first address of the day. He was followed by F. Smietanka, manager of Pulaski Hall, who greeted the delegates and put the hall at their disposal without charge. He said that the Union had done much to make this Polish Hall possible. He was vigorously applauded.

    3

    A credentials committee was then appointed, consisting of J. Napieralski, W. Jaworski, and M. Bielecki. On a motion by Delegate Maciejewski, the session was recessed for half an hour.

    The session was reopened at eleven o'clock and the credentials committee report was received.All credentials were accepted. The societies represented and their delegates to the Fifth Convention were as follows:

    St. Adalbert's Society was represented by O. Grochowski, J. Napieralski, I. Morzynski, and S. Budzbanowski; Heart of the Holy Virgin Mary, by F. Lamich and Jacob Kuczewski; Knights of St. Casimir, by F. Kaminski and Leon Maciejewski; Name of Jesus Society, by K. Gulcz and Vincent Jaworski; Brotherhood of St. Dominiek, by Joseph Herman and Martin Bielicki; St. Gregory Krakus Society, by B. L. Maciejewski and John Przymorski; St. Stanislaus Kostka Society, by J. Drzycinski; St. Casimir's Society (of St. Casimir's parish), by Alphonse Tokarski; St. Joseph's Society, by Francis Kolkowski; and St. Stanislaus Society 4of South Chicago, by Martin Borowczak.

    Altogether, there were eighteen delegates representing ten societies.

    Appointment of committees followed. The auditing committee consisted of J. Drzycimski, F. Kolkowski, and W. Jaworski. F. Kaminski, I. Morzynski, and K. Gulcz were appointed to the committee on motions and constitutional amendments.

    President J. Herman made a motion that a committee be appointed to invite the Reverend W. Radziejewski to attend the convention; the motion was carried. The committee included S. Budzbanowski, F. Lamich, and J. Napieralski. After the reading and acceptance of the minutes of the Fourth Convention, the session was adjourned until two o'clock in the afternoon.

    5

    Afternoon Session

    The afternoon session opened with a prayer. The committee reported that Father J. Radziejewski had promised to attend the convention in the company of two other priests. At this point, Father Radziejewski, his brother the Reverend S. Radziejeswski, and the Reverend Malkowski entered the hall. Father S. Reichstag and newly arrived from Europe, was an envoy to the German Reichstag and publisher of the Bytomsk Catholic [Bytomsk is located near Cracow]. The delegates greeted the clergymen by rising.

    The secretary-general next read the administration's annual report. It was accepted without question.

    The Reverend Stanislaus Radziejewski was asked to address the convention, which he did. In his long, beautiful address, Father Radziejewski pointed to the two aims of all our efforts: faith and nationalism. The speaker said that though 6he knew little of the Union, the reports which were read at this convention proved it to be an institution devoted to these two aims. "Rendering aid to widows and orphans," he said, "is always a good and noble deed. In any case, it is a wonderful thing that Poles can unite and hold conventions here on this free soil, that they can work together for the mutual good. In Poland, such things are either forbidden outright, or must be conducted under police supervision. In general, every organization, either religious, national, or industrial, is a good thing for our people. United, the Poles can do much. The Germans accomplished a great deal by uniting; so can the Poles." The speech was thunderously applauded.

    Following Father Radziejewski's address, the session was adjourned until later in the afternoon.

    7

    Election of Officers, Adjournment

    The financial statement presented by the secretary-general, F. Marcinkowski, for the period of September 1, 1892, to September 1, 1893, was as follows:

    Income for the fiscal year, $9,760.75; cash on hand at beginning year, $571.04; total $10,331.79. Expenditures totaled $9,582.50, leaving a cash balance of $749.29. In addition, organization pins on hand, valued at $79.50, and ten shares of stock in Pulaski Hall, value $100, bring the total assets to $928.79. During the past year, $9,000 in death benefits were paid; other expenditures included a total of $482.50 for nationalistic purposes and $100 for salary to the secretary-general. Since its organization five years ago, the institution has paid $28,800 in death benefits to its members. A recess of fifteen minutes followed this report.

    The session was resumed at four-thirty. As the result of a motion by S. Budzbanowski, the secretary-general reported that six hundred and seven members 8had paid their last assessment. The secretary-general also read a letter from St. Casimir's Society, of St. Casimir's parish, requesting financial aid.

    Further, a motion was made that the Union remain independent as heretofore. It was carried. Another motion, stating that all members of societies affiliated with the Union must be members of the Union also and contribute to the death benefit fund, was also carried. At six thirty, the convention adjourned until the following morning.

    Second day's session

    The second day's session opened at about ten o'clock in the morning, after the delegates had attended Requiem Mass, said for the intention of their departed brethren.

    J. Drzycimski was elected special secretary to read the constitution. Article V, 9paragraph one, of the constitution occasioned some discussion. Delegate Maciejewski proposed an amendment raising the annual dues to the Union to fifty cents and discontinuing the practice of special collections. It was finally decided to leave the paragraph unchanged, but in case the necessity should arise for a special collection, the administration and the delegates will be called together to adopt appropriate measures.

    Before further reading of the constitution, the auditing committee presented its report. It had found the accounts entirely in order.

    An amendment to paragraph two of Article VI of the constitution, proposed by J. Drzycimski, providing that all societies listing from ten to twenty-five members will be allowed one delegate to the convention, was accepted. (Heretofore, one delegate was allowed to societies listing from ten to fifty members).

    10

    At noon, the session was recessed until one o'clock, at which time, reading of the constitution continued.

    The secretary-general next read a telegram of greeting from the Censor and the Central Administration of the Polish National Alliance, expressing best wishes for the conventions's success and for continued efforts toward freedom, equality, and the spreading of Polish fame in America. The delegates acknowledged the greeting by rising.

    A motion by the delegate from the Name of Jesus Society, proposing that the death benefit be paid to an incurably crippled member, was defeated.

    An appeal in regard to the Polish Day celebration was read. Since all of the member societies of the Union have already signified their desire to participate in the celebration and are paying as much as fifty cents per member to this 11cause, it was decided that a special appropriation is unnecessary.

    After a short recess, the matter concerning the fifty dollars that had been offered to aid orphans several years ago was discussed. A commission, consisting of J. Drzycimski and B. L. Maciejewski, was appointed to dispose of the matter.

    A report on the agreement reached with St. Adalbert's parish was accepted.

    Twenty-five dollars was appropriated in compliance with a request for funds made by the St. Casimir's Society, and a like sum was appropriated for Masses. In addition, fifty dollars was donated to the new parochial school in St. Adalbert's parish. The secretary-general's salary will remain one hundred dollars per year; officers of the convention will be paid three dollars per day.

    A commission including O. Grochowski, J. Napieralski, and B. L. Maciejewski 12was appointed to investigate the possibility of establishing an organ for the Union. It was decided also, to purchase three more shares of stock in Pulaski Hall.

    The election of officers resulted as follows: Joseph Napieralski, president; Francis Kaminski, vice-president; 0. Grochowski, secretary-general; Stanislaus Budzbanowski, treasurer. The advisory board consists of W. Jaworski, F. Lamich, L. Maciejewski, F. Kolkowski, M. Bielicki, and Jacob Kuczewski.

    The new administration took office immediately, the old president administering the oath.

    After the chairman had thanked the delegates for their presence, and the priests for their attendance and kind words, the convention was adjourned.

    Polish
    III B 4, I A 2 c, II B 1 c 3, II D 1, II D 6, II D 10, III B 2, III C, IV