The Chicago Foreign Language Press Survey was published in 1942 by the Chicago Public Library Omnibus Project of the Works Progress Administration of Illinois. The purpose of the project was to translate and classify selected news articles that appeared in the foreign language press from 1855 to 1938. The project consists of 120,000 typewritten pages translated from newspapers of 22 different foreign language communities of Chicago.

Read more about this historic project.

You are looking at one result from the Polish group.
This group has 5490 other articles.

This article was published in 1908.
770 articles were published that year.

This article has a primary subject code of "Homes for the Aged" (II D 5).
537 articles share this primary code.

  • Dziennik Chicagoski -- October 26, 1908
    New Home of the Good Shepherd

    In spite of the intolerable rain yesterday afternoon about 8,000 people from various sections of our city gathered to witness the consecration of the cornerstone for the new home of the Good Shepherd, to be located at Grace St. and Racine Avenue.

    A big parade of different Catholic societies and organizations presided at the consecration ceremonials, mainly the Knights of Columbus, the Catholic Order of Foresters and the Ancient Order of Hibernians. They met at 9:30 A. M. at the corner of Clark and Grace and paraded to await the arrival of His Excellency Archbishop J. E. Quigley. Before the parade and Archbishop J. E. Quigley returned to the scene of the consecration it was 4 o'clock in the afternoon.

    The consecration ceremonies were performed by Archbishop Quigley, with the assistance of Rev. Father P. C. Conway as first deacon. Rev. Father J.M. Scanlana, sub-deacon, and Rev. Father P. J. McGovern of Rockport, were masters of ceremony.

    2

    Many Polish priests were present, among them Rev. Fathers Zwierzchonski, Sztuczko, Zelinski and others. Some of the speakers who took part in this great consecration were Rev. Father J. L. Regasz of St. Vincent parish, Judge Tuthill and Mr. Willam J. Onahan.

    The new building which at the present time is three stories high will be four stories high when completed. It will be 400 feet long, 60 feet wide, and will cost 150,000 dollars. The old home of the Good Shepherd, which is fifty years old, is located at Hill and Market Street. It is 300 feet high and 50 feet wide; at the present time there are 478 people under the care of 38 sisters.

    The new building will have four separate sections: in section one will be placed the unfortunate aged people who can spend the remainder of their life in peace and comfort; the second section is for women sent there by the criminal court; the third section will consist of young girls sent there by the court, and in the fourth section will be placed incorrigible children placed there by their parents.

    Polish
    II D 5, II D 4, II E 3, IV