The Chicago Foreign Language Press Survey was published in 1942 by the Chicago Public Library Omnibus Project of the Works Progress Administration of Illinois. The purpose of the project was to translate and classify selected news articles that appeared in the foreign language press from 1855 to 1938. The project consists of 120,000 typewritten pages translated from newspapers of 22 different foreign language communities of Chicago.

Read more about this historic project.

You are looking at one result from the Polish group.
This group has 5490 other articles.

This article was published in 1892.
1043 articles were published that year.

This article has a primary subject code of "Libraries" (II B 2 a).
223 articles share this primary code.

  • Dziennik Chicagoski -- October 24, 1892
    Polish National Alliance Opens Museum and Library

    The Polish National Alliance Library and Museum was officially opened to the public Saturday afternoon at three o'clock. The institution was made possible through the gifts of Dr. H. Kalussowski of Washington, D. C., which are to be under the guardianship of the Alliance.

    The ceremonies took place at the Central Committee's headquarters on Noble Street. Besides the directors of the Library, presidents of many societies belonging to the Polish National Alliance were in attendance. There were also several members of the Kosciuszko Guard from Milwaukee, including Captain E. Slupecki. This group came to Chicago as a part of the Wisconsin State Militia to take part in the Columbus Day parade. They voluntarily attended the dedication ceremonies Saturday. Many other guests were also present.

    The group from Milwaukee opened the dedication ceremonies with a military 2salute.

    Adalia Satalecki was the first speaker. He associated the opening of the Library with the four hundredth anniversary of the discovery of America by Columbus. The speaker also gave recognition to Dr. Kalussowski for his work, and mentioned the events leading to the opening of the institution. He concluded his speech by urging everyone to support this Library in the name of culture.

    The next speaker was the Secretary of the Polish National Alliance, A. Mallek, who read the speech of Dr. Kalussowski, the donor of the Library, and the proclamation of the establishment of the Library by the Central Committee. According to the statute the newly-opened institution is to be called "The Polish Library and Museum of Chicago, under the guardianship of the Polish National Alliance." Its official staff will be composed of nine directors, two of whom will be Dr. Kalussowski and his 3son, and the remaining seven of whom will be elected; the latter are to hold office for one year. The present directors are S. Kociemski, Dr. Casimir Midowicz, Max Drzemala, A. Blaszyczynski and Mr. J. Pulkowski. The directors choose officers from their own group.

    Later, during the dedication activities, the installation of Mr. Kociemski as president of the Library and guardian of its laws and documents took place.

    A. Koinski, secretary of the Library, then took the speaker's stand. He brought out the importance of culture for our national cause and urged everyone to benefit from the literary treasures of the newly-opened library.

    A letter from Dr. Kalussowski of Washington was read to the assembly; it thanked the directors for their work.

    4

    Dr. Midowicz thanked the visitors from Milwaukee for attending this affair....He averred that the library is the hearth from which radiate the rays of culture and education.....He urged everyone to work for this culture--and predicted the resurrection of Poland through the medium of work and culture!....

    The next speaker was Constantine Mallek of Wisconsin, secretary of Skarbo Naro Dowego (Polish National Fund). Using the Fund as an example, Mr. Mallek pointed out how quickly the drive was amassing money from small contributions. He earnestly pressed everyone to further the development of the new Library through continual and painstaking work.

    Mr. F. Gryglaszewski, present Censor of the Polish National Alliance, was present. He suggested that a register be kept of all persons visiting the Library. Captain Slupecki spoke in the name of his group.

    After the dedication ceremonies everyone visited the collections in the 5Museum and Library.

    Polish
    II B 2 a, II B 2 b, III B 2, III B 3 a, III D, III H, IV