The Chicago Foreign Language Press Survey was published in 1942 by the Chicago Public Library Omnibus Project of the Works Progress Administration of Illinois. The purpose of the project was to translate and classify selected news articles that appeared in the foreign language press from 1855 to 1938. The project consists of 120,000 typewritten pages translated from newspapers of 22 different foreign language communities of Chicago.

Read more about this historic project.

You are looking at one result from the Hungarian group.
This group has 1087 other articles.

This article was published in 1938.
49 articles were published that year.

This article has a primary subject code of "National Churches and Sects" (III C).
2880 articles share this primary code.

  • Interest -- January 01, 1938
    Meritful Action of Our Brothers of the Northside. Chicago's Catholic Hungarians to Buy a New and Bigger Church.

    A long cherished dream of Catholic Hungarians living on the northside is near its realization. Hungarian Catholics of the northside are twice those living in Burnside, yet they cannot boast of even a satisfactory church life, on account of the fact, that they are scattered all over the northside. The reason for this is, that they did not have a centrally located church for themselves, which could be reached easily from any part of the city. The now existing church, is a small chapel, hidden away, which never could shelter all the Catholics of the northside, whose number must be several thousands, if for some reason they would wish to come together all at the same time. The believers, scattered all over the city found church going far too tiresome and time wasting, so joined some other, not Hungarian speaking congregations. This was, from a Hungarian viewpoint, 2a great loss, as the younger generation, either,was not given a religious training at all, or if given, the foreign priests were not teaching them anything at all, which would have some Hungarian connection, and so these young Catholics became strangers to the Hungarians.

    Now the Catholics of the northside intend to buy a new, a bigger, and nicer church, which should be situated, so that it could be easily reached from all parts of the northside.

    The Hungarians will gladly greet the action of their Catholic brethren of the northside, which can have only praise-worthy consequences in its wake from the Hungarian viewpoint in general. In this movement one can recognize the cherished hope, that the Hungarians will come closer to each other through this planned purchase of the new church; their children will remain good Hungarians, and as such, become good citizens of our adopted country, the United States.

    Now, that the northside Catholic Church has such a well-known, splendidly 3educated, and capable parson as Doctor Jacques Wildinger, there is need only for a new, satisfactory church building, where the new generation of Hungarians could be regained for the Hungarians. In this aim, to maintain our racial existence in the future, all the praise is due those, who as Hungarians, and also as Catholics, are doing all they can, to achieve this long cherished task. In this endeavor all the other Catholic Hungarians, without exception, are going to help. From the church purchase meeting, we can report the following:

    The first steps toward the buying of the church were taken on the second day of Christmas, at the general meeting of the Saint Emery Church. The presiding parson told the well attended meeting all the reasons, that necessitates the purchase of a new church building. The present little church makes absolutely impossible, the development of the parish, by its situation, size, and its past, and does not serve at all the needs of Hungarian culture. It is almost impossible to keep a church up very long in a leased building. Almost everybody 4and the Hungarians especially desire to live in a home, which they own. The time has come, when it is necessary, that the Hungarian Catholics of the northside should acquire a church of their own.

    Then he made it clear, what benefit would be derived by the purchase of a church building, and specially that one, which was looked over. At the end of his speech he asked the meeting to form men's and ladies' committees and to begin collections for that purpose.

    A general enthusiasm and applause broke loose after Doctor Jacob Wildinger finished his speech, and those present were thronging around the donationlists, eager to sign their donations.

    The first to sign was the Altar Society which donated its whole assets, and signed $500 for the purpose, by which act, it gave a very good example for the future offerings. The parson expressed his sincere thanks for the offering by the society and the splendid example given by them.

    5

    Then the different committees were chosen. The men's committee compose, Joseph Rakos, Alexander Steiner, Paul Timko, John Balazs, Joseph Minarovics, John Svinyiczky, John Bonifert, John Leonard, Emery Rady, Vince Klenner, Frank Balogh, William Fejfar, Louis Hirth, Alexander Rakos, Steve Minarovics, as members.

    The members of the Ladies' Committee are: Mrs. Minarovics, Klenner, Sipos, Steiner, Ivan, Koza, Svinyiczky, Leonard, Olcsanyi, Laky, Szabo, Nemeth, Kardosy, Rakos, Miszty, Bonifert, Pummer, Wagenhals, Bazso, Kish, Kovacs, Fury and Wiesinger.

    The committees will be organized after the mass on January 2nd, and begin functioning.

    In the meanwhile, the signing of the list of donations is merrily going on, with the following record: 6Each of the following offered One Hundred Dollars: Joseph Minarovics, Steve Leonard, John Svinyiczky, Emery Rady, Mr. and Mrs. Sipos, Frank Kish. Fifty Dollars each was offered by: Alexander Steiner, Joseph Rakos, Alexander Rakos, Paul Timko, Joseph Kish, Steve Minarovics.

    Twenty Five Dollars each: Louise Miszty, Alex Foris, Mrs. Kardossy, Mrs. Risko, George Fury. Ten Dollars each: John Bonifert, Frank Berninger. Dollars Alexander Nagy.

    So at the first meeting there came $1,550, as donations. The enthusiasm and the splendid willingness gives foundation to the hope, that the necessary amount will be brought together in a very short time.

    Hungarian
    III C, III A