The Chicago Foreign Language Press Survey was published in 1942 by the Chicago Public Library Omnibus Project of the Works Progress Administration of Illinois. The purpose of the project was to translate and classify selected news articles that appeared in the foreign language press from 1855 to 1938. The project consists of 120,000 typewritten pages translated from newspapers of 22 different foreign language communities of Chicago.

Read more about this historic project.

You are looking at one result from the Bohemian group.
This group has 4859 other articles.

This article was published in 1891.
647 articles were published that year.

This article has a primary subject code of "Representative Individuals" (IV).
2145 articles share this primary code.

  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- August 06, 1891
    An Important Festival

    An opportunity presented itself yesterday to the Bohemian population of this city to express their sincere gratitude and sympathy towards one of their eminent and well-known countrymen, the Rev. Joseph Molitor, who celebrated his 25th anniversary as a priest. His life presents, indeed, a part of the history of the development of Bohemian colonization in the United States.

    His arrival in Chicago in 1866 was of far-reaching importance to the development of Bohemian activity and Catholic religion locally as well as in the whole west. Sensing the truth that the school is the most effective means and its results most lasting for the cultivation and maintenance of desirable national characteristics and customs, he devoted to this branch of education of his countrymen his undivided attention and activity.

    As president of the Bohemian Literary Club of America he found ways and 2means to have schoolbooks printed in the Bohemian language and to have children make use of them, thereby promoting their mental development. Since the Bohemian population increased steadily in this city, his activities along these lines were very successful. In 1866 only one Bohemian Catholic Church existed in this city, namely the Wenzel-Church, whose pastor is still Rev. Molitor; but today there are seven churches among a population of 75,000 people, in which services are held in the mother tongue; the children being taught same in their parochial schools.

    In view of these facts it was a well-deserved tribute of gratitude which was yesterday rendered to the honorable jubilee-celebrant. Not only Bohemian and Polish, German churches of this city sent their delegates to the festival, but they also came from Detroit, St. Louis, Cleveland, Milwaukee, etc.

    The sermon for the occasion was delivered by J. Kosidelka of Cleveland, who expressed with eloquent words what the audience felt toward the 3guest of honor.

    After the church services a banquet was held in the school-house in which a considerable number of clergmen participated. The honored priest received toasts in seven different languages. Nearly all persons who come from the Slavonic countries of Austria-Hungary are able to speak the German language.

    The impressive celebration closed last night with a dramatic and musical performance before a large audience.

    Bohemian
    IV, I A 2 b, II B 1 d, II B 2 d 3