The Chicago Foreign Language Press Survey was published in 1942 by the Chicago Public Library Omnibus Project of the Works Progress Administration of Illinois. The purpose of the project was to translate and classify selected news articles that appeared in the foreign language press from 1855 to 1938. The project consists of 120,000 typewritten pages translated from newspapers of 22 different foreign language communities of Chicago.

Read more about this historic project.

You are looking at one result from the German group.
This group has 7091 other articles.

This article was published in 1871.
259 articles were published that year.

This article has a primary subject code of "Settlement Houses and Community Centers" (II D 6).
256 articles share this primary code.

  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- May 02, 1871
    [The German House]

    The shareholders of the German House met yesterday under the chairmanship of President Schmutz. The secretary, Mr. Henry Marwedel, read his annual report. He spoke first of the great hopes that the construction of the German House had aroused fifteen years ago and that, unfortunately, due to the general lack of interest were not realized. The number of shareholders quickly melted away. However, enough remained to keep the German House out of the grip of the sheriff. The original grant of $25,000 was made only very hesitatingly and soon proved insufficient. (The actual cost proved to be $36,202). The shareholders voted no additional money, leaving the task of seeing it through to Mr. W. Schmutz and H. Lamperter who had pledged their own property. Due to that fact the building was completed. It is now an adornment of the North Side even though not all its shops are rented very profitably to the shareholders. There is no theater. The rents have brought more, already, during the first winter than the theater would have returned, and there is no danger of temporary loss of rent and no necessity of paying three or four percent more for fire insurance for a theater.

    The fact that the German House was able to make debts to the amount of $30,000 at least proves that it has credit to that amount. Besides, the outlook is 2excellent. Already the Sharpshooters' Association and the Germania Male Choir, very pleasant and respectable tenants, had asked for contracts for several years for their locals. That, however, will be up to the next administrative council to decide.

    After the report was accepted the election of the new council was undertaken. The following gentlemen were elected: Schmutz, Lamperter, Bosse, Heide, Wunderle, Kafer, Huck, Schaub, Brachvogel, Waldhauser, Kruger, Marwedel, and Jensch.

    The rooms in the German House, with the exception of one 31 x 110 ft. shop, are all rented. Since then, $4,232 have come in.

    German
    II D 6, III A