Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- August 13, 1875Uhlich's Orphanage
On the Northwest corner of Burlington and Center Streets a nice red building enclosed by a garden attracts the attention of the passerby. On the frontispice can be seen the inscription: Uhlich's Orphan Asylum.
The orphanage does not owe its inception directly to the man whose name it bears. Mr. Uhlich was the chief contributor to the orphanage. For a long time the members of the Evangelical Lutheran St. Paul's parish, had expressed the desire to build an orphanage. Collections for that purpose were taken up at picnics and several thousand dollars had been collected, when Mr. Carl Uhlich died in 1867 and through his will bequeathed forty-eight lots to the institution. The orphanage was then founded at once. A house was at first rented at the corner of La Salle and Ohio Streets. When this house became too small, the institution was transferred to Clark Street, between Sophia Street and Webster Avenue, where it remained until the great fire. Later, the present building was erected at a cost of $23,000. The lot cost $9,900. The Relief and Aid Society also contributed a considerable sum.
The institution is completely under the supervision of the First United Lutheran 2Community. This does not imply that only children of Lutheran parents are received in the institution. A number of Catholic children have been admitted and only children who have never been baptised, are baptised according to the Evangelical Lutheran rite.
We mention all these facts in order to interest our German population in this wonderful institution. In Cincinnati and Baltimore the German orphanages are supported through an annual German picnic. The last one in Cincinnati netted over $8,000. We wonder if it would not be possible to do the same in Chicago.
II D 4, III C
Secondary listingsGerman // Assimilation > National Churches and Sects (III C) ?
Your search criteria returned no results.