The Chicago Foreign Language Press Survey was published in 1942 by the Chicago Public Library Omnibus Project of the Works Progress Administration of Illinois. The purpose of the project was to translate and classify selected news articles that appeared in the foreign language press from 1855 to 1938. The project consists of 120,000 typewritten pages translated from newspapers of 22 different foreign language communities of Chicago.

Read more about this historic project.

You are looking at one result from the German group.
This group has 7091 other articles.

This article was published in 1867.
51 articles were published that year.

This article has a primary subject code of "Special Schools and Classes" (II B 2 f).
1101 articles share this primary code.

  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- April 12, 1867
    Dyhrenfurth's Institute (Editorial)

    We have repeatedly called the attention of our readers to the above excellent institution, which is probably unsurpassed by any of its kind in the entire West, and of which Chicago can justly be proud.

    A new course will begin after Easter, and we cannot forego the opportunity to recommend this widely known and highly praised school to all parents and guardians who wish to give their children a good practical education. Mr. Dyhrenfurth has set the rates for tuition exceptionally low. All the professors are recognized as able and thoroughly educated teachers, and the knowledge acquired by children who attend the Institute, and the positions which many of the graduates hold in the social and business world of our city are proof of the diligence with which the instructors apply themselves to their 2various tasks.

    The Institute consists of a classical department, a school for girls and a commercial college. There are five classes in the classical department. The three lower classes offer a preparatory course, and the two upper classes a high school course. The purpose of the preparatory course is to give the pupil a good practical education which will enable him to enter the commercial school. In the upper classes, a complete course is offered in classics and mathematics, in preparation for attendance at a university. In these classes, Greek, Latin, French, German, and English are taught; also geometry, zoology, geography, rhetoric, drawing, chemistry, mathematics, etc. Each subject is taught by a man who has specialized in that field.

    The new school for girls which Mr. Dyhrenfurth has established has received favorable recognition, and the number of pupils attending it has steadily increased. The purpose of this branch of the Institute is to give girls a 3truly "feminine" education in domestic arts and in the supervision of a household. This school fills a long-felt need and is ably presided over by Miss Lee.

    We need add nothing about the excellence of the commercial department, for it is well known among local businessmen and is recognized over the entire West. We know from experience that every businessman prefers graduates from Dyhrenfurth's Commercial Institute to all other applicants, and that the students of this school always obtain positions in the best firms.

    Recently, Mr. Dyhrenfurth established a monthly magazine under the name The College Monthly. The motto of the publication is "scientia potestas". The first issue has just reached us. It contains several very excellent and instructive articles, some of them written by teachers or professors, and others by pupils of the upper grades. They are abundant proof of the ability of both teachers and students. Thus the Institute continues to progress in 4every respect, and Mr. Dyhrenfurt is leaving nothing undone to promote the general thorough training of those who attend his school.

    German
    II B 2 f, II A 2