The Chicago Foreign Language Press Survey was published in 1942 by the Chicago Public Library Omnibus Project of the Works Progress Administration of Illinois. The purpose of the project was to translate and classify selected news articles that appeared in the foreign language press from 1855 to 1938. The project consists of 120,000 typewritten pages translated from newspapers of 22 different foreign language communities of Chicago.

Read more about this historic project.

You are looking at one result from the German group.
This group has 7091 other articles.

This article was published in 1867.
51 articles were published that year.

This article has a primary subject code of "Industrial and Commercial" (II A 2).
1891 articles share this primary code.

  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- April 26, 1867
    A. Kraushaar's Clasp Improvement

    Everyone who is familiar with the history of piano manufacturing knows that more than fifty years the European manufacturers introduced the clasp as an improvement upon the generally used bridge. The clasp supports the string just opposite the stroke of the hammer, while the bridge pin supports the string from the side only. Thus the use of the bridge pin made it impossible to obtain the required rigidity and stability for clearness and fullness of musical tone. Only a few local manufacturers have introduced the clasp. One of them claims he applied the device in 1836; another says he attached it to the iron-framed piano, while another claims he used it in connection with the strings of a violin. It cannot be denied that the introduction of the iron frame has greatly improved the modern piano; but the system, now in vogue, of placing the entire weight upon the iron frame by attaching the clasps to the iron frame with screws is advantageous only to a certain extent. It will be readily understood that the iron frame, though it makes for stability, hampers the production of clear musical tones. Only wood can develop and support the 2vibrations of the strings, as experience teaches, and why should we not benefit by what sound reason has taught us for many years? The solution of the problem was to attach the clasps in such a way that contact with iron was avoided. This problem has not been solved.

    Mr. Kraushaar, of Kraushaar and Company, 19 North Huston Street, has done everything that can be done in this respect. He has devised a new system of attaching the clasps, and his system avoids the above mentioned faults. By his system the vibration of the strings is supported and reinforced. All tones are full, clear, and pleasing to the sensitive musical ear, and we do not doubt that the benefits of the excellent instrument which Kraushaar and Company have made during the time they have been in business in Chicago will gain for them a host of new admirers and satisfied customers.

    German
    II A 2