The Chicago Foreign Language Press Survey was published in 1942 by the Chicago Public Library Omnibus Project of the Works Progress Administration of Illinois. The purpose of the project was to translate and classify selected news articles that appeared in the foreign language press from 1855 to 1938. The project consists of 120,000 typewritten pages translated from newspapers of 22 different foreign language communities of Chicago.

Read more about this historic project.

You are looking at one result from the German group.
This group has 7091 other articles.

This article was published in 1875.
140 articles were published that year.

This article has a primary subject code of "Industrial and Commercial" (II A 2).
1891 articles share this primary code.

  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- December 23, 1875
    The Toledo.

    All those, who used to visit the old Toledo on Washington St. will be glad to learn that the brothers Kaltenbach have opened a new Restaurant which also bears the name Toledo.

    The new place is at 135-141 East Madison St. Its arrangement is most modern and elegant. An excellent musical program will be offered by the German Ladies Band under the direction of the famous artist Miss Bertha Neubers.

    The well known orchestrion, the greatest musical mechanical wonder of the world, will also play some new concert compositions.

    Thus the Toledo, which opens its doors tonight, will be a first class eating and entertainment place.

    German
    II A 2, II A 3 b