The Chicago Foreign Language Press Survey was published in 1942 by the Chicago Public Library Omnibus Project of the Works Progress Administration of Illinois. The purpose of the project was to translate and classify selected news articles that appeared in the foreign language press from 1855 to 1938. The project consists of 120,000 typewritten pages translated from newspapers of 22 different foreign language communities of Chicago.

Read more about this historic project.

You are looking at one result from the German group.
This group has 7091 other articles.

This article was published in 1889.
155 articles were published that year.

This article has a primary subject code of "National Churches and Sects" (III C).
2880 articles share this primary code.

  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- January 28, 1889
    Josephinum - a New Educational Institution of the Northwest Side

    The "Sisters of Christian Charity" is a religious society, which was founded at Paderborn, Westphalia, Germany about forty years ago....Nothing in the field of charity is excluded from their activities, but from the beginning they have primarily concentrated their efforts along educational lines and have obtained their best successes in the training and educating of youth. About 900 sisters belong to this society today and their activities are extended to Germany, Belgium, Denmark, North and South America. More than half of them are in the United States and of these the majority who joined the society here come from this country.

    The provincial mother house of this religious order is located at Wilkesbarre, Pennsylvania. Forty-four branch houses are subordinated to this central seat. These branches are almost without exception parochial schools belonging to German-Catholic churches and since so many of the churches are located in the West, the management of this society considered it its duty to establish a new home here.

    The Sisters of Christian Charity have, since their establishment in the 2United States, aimed at more efficient and fitting educational methods, but one peculiarity is their persistence in clinging to the German spirit and the German tongue. However, they also recognize the necessity of the English language for the German-American youth and in all schools under their leadership, English takes its proper place. Nevertheless, they know how to impart to their students a great skill in German and even a preference for it, in the more talented, which is usually not the case of the courses in German in our German-English private schools. It is therefore necessary for the sisters to maintain among themselves essential German traits. Conditions have been in their favor in this respect. During a number of years it became impossible for the order in Germany to receive new members, due to economic struggles, and the consequence was, that many of these young women from the higher social circles came to America to find admittance at Wilkesbarre. These young women transmitted German traits, disposition, thought, emotion, and the German language in its purity, to the young Americans who likewise attended a teaching course......

    We have to congratulate, indeed, the Northwest Side and, in a broader sense, all Germans in Chicago and vicinity, because of the founding of this new 3institution. Besides the excellent culture of mind and heart being maintained here, it will prove itself as an invigorating and preserving force of German culture and customs to all who come in contact with it.

    The sisters plan to have a boarding school and a day school in the new building. Besides, they will make it possible for those students who live too far away, to have their lunch at the institution.

    The Josephinum consists of one main building which extends 345 feet on Oakley avenue. At the north and south ends, 120 feet-long wings are joined to the main building. The chapel is being erected at the hub of the building, and the heating system at the north boundary line of the estate.

    German
    III C, I A 2 b, III A, V A 1