The Chicago Foreign Language Press Survey was published in 1942 by the Chicago Public Library Omnibus Project of the Works Progress Administration of Illinois. The purpose of the project was to translate and classify selected news articles that appeared in the foreign language press from 1855 to 1938. The project consists of 120,000 typewritten pages translated from newspapers of 22 different foreign language communities of Chicago.

Read more about this historic project.

Filter by Date

  • Saloniki-Greek Press -- January 01, 1916
    Philanthropy in Chicago A Few Illuminating comparisons between the Philanthropic interests of the Greeks and the other Foreign Groups of Chicago

    A large printing concern in Chicago has recently published a small volume in which are listed all the philanthropic causes contributed to in the last year. It gives details of who or what organization gave money, or performed deeds of kindness for the sick and poor of Chicago. It lists the actions of the various churches, creeds and nationalities, in relation to schools, hospitals, orphanages, homes for the aged, etc.

    We were ashamed to discover that there was not even one Greek person, club, or church listed in that book. We, at least, expected to see the name of one Greek Orthodox Church; or the name "Greek Womens Philanthropic Club," because the ladies are always proclaiming the philanthropic acts of their organization.

    However, the Greek ladies take the money supposed to be used for aiding the 2needy, and put it in the bank to collect interest.....And let the poor starve!

    Have the ladies of Chicago or New York ever realized, that there are hundreds of Greeks in the city hospitals and institutions? Have they never considered how much they could ease the burden of these poor unfortunates by bringing them a few bright flowers or a box of candy? Which the ladies could easily get from a score of Greek merchants.

    We do not intend to preach or to moralize. Each individual has his own conscience, which should make him aware of his duty to his less fortunate fellow men.

    It is our duty, however, as editors of a newspaper, to bring certain facts to the attention of our priests, our church boards and the Greek men and women of Chicago, concerning the following colossal philanthropic achievements, of other nationalities:

    3

    During 1915, the Jews of Chicago, alone, contributed over one million, eight hundred thousand dollars to schools, orphans, asylums.

    And while all the religious groups, and all the national groups had made large contributions to worthy philanthropic causes; the Greek churches, and the Greek nationality made none whatever. We, the great philanthropists, gave nothing at all. Should we, or should we not, hide our heads in shame?

    It is not sufficient that we should be ashamed. It should be a severe object lesson to all of us. First of all, the priests and the church boards must make sincere efforts to reorganize the philanthropic organizations within the church; in order that they might become organizations whose actual purpose would be philanthropy. Now they are merely empty titles attached to clubs devoted to the social pleasures of their members.

    We realize that the Greeks of Chicago can never raise two million dollars, as did the Jews of Chicago; but we can, at least, do as much as the Danes 4or Norwegians. "He who gives to the poor gives unto me."

    We have many needy Greek families in Chicago, and we are wondering, whether or not the Greek organizations are going to answer their appeal for help.

    What are the philanthropic tendencies of the Greeks of Chicago?

    We wait to see; do not disappoint us.

    A large printing concern in Chicago has recently published a small volume in which are listed all the philanthropic causes contributed to in the last year. It gives details of ...

    Greek
    II D 10, I C
  • Denní Hlasatel -- January 02, 1916
    Bohemian Establishment in New Building Lawndale State Bank Starting Business Tomorrow [Half-tone, three column-quarter of a page, picture of front of building at 3205-3207 West 22nd Street.]

    Lawndaleska Statni Banka (Lawndale State Bank), a well-known banking establishment doing business for many years in Ceska Californie [a Bohemian district in Chicago], is a bank which has gained such an enviable record not only among our countrymen, but also among the foreign language and American groups, that its quarters became too cramped for the amount of business transacted.

    Therefore, the directors, who had had in mind for some time the building of a new home to house the bank, agreed to build the new bank home, which could take care of a greater volume of business and, with its structural beauty, would be a credit to the neighborhood.

    2

    For that reason a site was found in this locality. Immediately plans were drawn by order of the bank directors, and the many contracts for the work on the building were awarded; but the completion of the bank was delayed for almost a year on account of unforeseen conditions.

    The building will be opened to the public within the next few days and tomorrow, for the first time, business will be transacted in its new home.

    The new building of the Lawndale State Bank at 3205-3207 West 22nd Street stands on two lots, and is constructed of stone, brick, and steel.

    The first floor is reserved for banking business. The second floor is divided into offices, all of which are rented.

    Stepping through the grand entrance, we walked through bronze doors into the vestibule, which is made of marble. At both sides of this entrance 3offices for the directors may be seen.

    From the vestibule we were able to see a large hall, fitted with a skylight. This hall is supported by pillars; between these pillars are benches, seats, and writing tables placed there for the convenience of the bank's patrons.

    At the sides of this hall are wings, which are divided into twelve sections.

    To the rear of the large hall is an enormous safe, fitted with a time clock weighing twenty-three tons. This time clock is of the self-adjusting type, and can be regulated very easily. Inside of this safe, at both sides the safety boxes can be seen, and farther to the rear there is a smaller safe which holds the daily receipts of each clerk.

    The main rear hall wall is fitted with a large looking glass. In the rooms 4behind the last wall, the directors will hold their meetings. Near this last wall are the ladies' rest rooms and small private rooms for the bank's customers, a room reserved for bank clerks, and a dressing room.

    To the right of the wall are more safes for storing books and valuable papers. To the left is a large table for the telephone operator, and here also are twelve public telephones.

    The decorations are plastic designs, marble imitations, and mosiacs.

    The furniture is mahogany; the electrical lighting is indirect. The light is thrown from large rounded globes to the ceiling and then reflected downward.

    A combination electrical heating system has been installed, automatically controlling the heating of the building and ventilating as well. In this 5respect, this system is entirely new to Bohemians.

    The front of the building is decorated with a clock, which will be automatically regulated with two others in the building.

    The cost of the building is $65,000, and it deserves to be mentioned that all the work on the building, wherever possible, was done by Bohemian contractors, or at least by Bohemian workingmen.

    This bank is an absolute Bohemian institution, whose leaders are the following officers: president, F. G. Hajicek; vice-presidents, J.J. Salat and J. F. Polak; cashier, J. Kopecky; assistant cashier, F.J. Krajic. The directors are: R. Dusil, R. F. Hajicek, E. Klicka, J. Kopecky, Charles B. Pavlicek, J.F. Polak, J. J. Salat, J. J. Svoboda, and F. G. Hajicek.

    The Lawndale State Bank is connected to some extent with the Lawndale 6National Bank, 3337-3339 West 26th Street, because all the stockholders of the Lawndale State Bank are also directors of the Lawndale National Bank.

    Lawndaleska Statni Banka (Lawndale State Bank), a well-known banking establishment doing business for many years in Ceska Californie [a Bohemian district in Chicago], is a bank which has gained such ...

    Bohemian
    II A 2, IV
  • L'italia -- January 02, 1916
    For the Soldiers

    4,059 packages containing woolen pants, stockings, cigars, chocolates, etc., collected by the Italian women of Chicago who are members of the Auxiliary Committee of the Chicago Red Cross, have been sent through the Italian Consul to the soldiers at the front.

    4,059 packages containing woolen pants, stockings, cigars, chocolates, etc., collected by the Italian women of Chicago who are members of the Auxiliary Committee of the Chicago Red Cross, have been ...

    Italian
    III H, I G, II D 10
  • Denní Hlasatel -- January 02, 1916
    From the Artistic World Musical America writes about Victor Kolar

    [Half-tone, one column-sixteenth of a page, picture of Victor Kolar]

    [Translator's note: Victor Kolar lived in Chicago before he became known as a great orchestra leader.]

    The Musical America prints an interview from the pen of Laszla Swartz, who writes of Victor Kolar, the concertmaster and assistant director of Walter Damrosch's orchestra in New York, as a talented musician who is entering upon a very brilliant career.

    Victor Kolar came to the United States about ten years ago, a poor unknown immigrant, and by diligence and perseverance rose to the heights he now enjoys.

    2

    He is so imbued with American traditions that, from them he has drawn inspiration for such compositions as "Hiawatha," "Fairy Tales," and "Americana".

    He is a very modest artist who loves our American institutions, and who a number of times said that the greatest success that can befall an artist is the day when he realizes how little he knows.

    He is now composing his "First Symphony," and has chosen melodies from the Hussite period for his two principal themes.

    This symphony when finished will be played by the New York Symphony Orchestra, under his direction.

    [Half-tone, one column-sixteenth of a page, picture of Victor Kolar] [Translator's note: Victor Kolar lived in Chicago before he became known as a great orchestra leader.] The Musical America prints ...

    Bohemian
    II A 3 b
  • Denní Hlasatel -- January 03, 1916
    Upon the Threshold of the New Year Gigantic Participation in the New Year Celebration of the Czecho-Slavonic Benevolent Societies

    The great fraternal union Cesko-Slovanske Podporujici Spolky is doubtless one of the most outstanding factors of our public well-being in the United States.

    From insignificant beginnings, for which the foundations were laid sixty years ago in St. Louis, Missouri, an organization was built whose branches reach almost into every State of our union, and is growing delightfully year after year.

    The cultural significance of our organization is becoming properly evaluated everywhere, especially in Bohemian-Chicago, the home of many other lodges with very large memberships; and where our countrymen naturally had the opportunity to convince themselves of the good work done by our great fraternal union.

    2

    How interesting are these human activities of our great union to our Bohemian public, and how much sympathy this public shows by coming to the aid of our unions is best shown by the interest it takes in the entertainments of our individual lodges, and especially in our New Year celebrations arranged under the patronage of the Grand Lodge of Illinois.

    These manifestations and celebrations always draw large audiences. This one, like every other public celebration on New Year's Day, was no exception to the rule.

    The program was to have begun at two o'clock in the afternoon, but long before that the large hall was so filled with people that the committee was forced to close the doors, and about five hundred persons had to be sent away because not even standing-room was available in the spacious hall of the Czecho-Slavonic Benevolent Societies, 18th and May Streets.

    The first number of the afternoon program was Kalivoda's "Overture Number One," 3played by a large orchestra made up of some of our best musicians, under the direction of the popular Rolf Rubringer.

    Then our highly regarded president of the Grand Lodge, Mr. Jan Pecha, greeted the assemblage and introduced brother Tlusty of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, who came especially to congratulate the Chicago brothers upon their great achievement during the past year, and to exhort them to even greater activity for the good of the organization.

    Little Miss Bozena Kozeluh played two piano compositions and was applauded vociferously.

    The men of the Bohemian Workingmen's Singing Society then filled the stage and sang, under the direction of their director, Mr. Josef Houdek, Foerster's "Krivankovi" (To the lark). The singers added two more songs.

    Mr. Vaclav Husa played a cornet solo, "Frances," and as an encore gave the 4melodious, "Darling, I am Growing Old," in which the sweetness of tone of his instrument seemed to surpass the rendering of the first composition played.

    A male quartet, composed of Messrs. Vlaciha, Pomazal, Hezoucky and Kriz, sang a number of songs, and had to repeat many times, so much were they liked. Mr. Kriz, who is a talented tenor then sang a song, which was rewarded with sustained applause.

    The well-known xylophone player, Mr. Bohumir Vesely, then played a beautiful and lively tune. He was well repaid for his effort by prolonged applause.

    Little Miss Klainka Zaher sang a song. She is unusually talented, and her voice is strong for such a young girl.

    The program next introduced two sisters, Ruzena and Lillian Sula, who played the well-known overture, "Poet and Peasant," for four hands, which the young ladies played with genuine skill.

    5

    The speaker of the afternoon was Dr. Frantisek Iska, a well-known speaker. The committee could not have made a better choice. We will print his address in tomorrows' issue.

    The program continued with an amateur performance by two little actresses from the Bohemian Orphanage: Miss Marie Neboska, who presented the number "Kucharinka" (The little cook), and Miss Emilie Kunt, who very ably recited "Detsky Ples" (The children's grand ball). Both of these young girls have talent. Due credit must be given their teacher, Mrs. Gusta Dusek for the "find".

    The last number on the program was a one-act play performed by the pupils of the Free Thought school, under the direction of their teacher, Mr. Veverka. Nine children played in this fairy play, called "Popelka" (Cinderella), and were amply rewarded by the great interest the audience showed for the play.

    Altogether the afternoon program contained nineteen numbers. Mr. Rubringer's 6orchestra provided a number of them; the orchestra played only concert selections.

    The success of this celebration of the Grand Lodge of the Czecho-Slavonic Benevolent Societies was complete, and it is proved that the resident lodges of this great body are steadily gaining in favor with our public, which will be an encouragement in the new year for further work for humanity.

    To the motto "Equality, Concord, Fraternity" we add our sincere Nazdar! (Success).

    The great fraternal union Cesko-Slovanske Podporujici Spolky is doubtless one of the most outstanding factors of our public well-being in the United States. From insignificant beginnings, for which the foundations ...

    Bohemian
    III B 2, II D 1
  • Abendpost -- January 03, 1916
    Military Drill in the Schools by Henry Suder

    [Gymnastics, as taught by a German patriot called "Father Jahn," was introduced into the Chicago Public Schools by the Chicago Germans, likewise, German language instruction. Both subjects proved a bone of contention in the early years, and Altgeld's favorable attitude towards this branch, and his denunciation of the Edwards School (anti-German language) law, gave him the German vote which swept him into the Governor's office. This note has been added to show the "Chicago German angle" of the following article. Transl.]

    On Friday, Dec. 24, 1913, an editorial appoared in the Abendpost under the heading "Military Drill in the Schools." As definite numerals are given which require revision, I beg you to kindly give some attention 2to these lines in your valued publication. Gymnastics was introduced in our public schools thirty years ago, and they consisted of callisthenics performed in the classrooms, in the aisles between the benches. What is known as tactics (marching in different formations. Transl.), and exercises which require equipment, had to be eliminated for lack of sufficient room.

    If I remember correctly, only two of the seventy-two elementary schools had halls at that time. Principals and teachers gave this branch a friendly reception; boys and girls participated gladly. Ten minutes per day (fifty minutes during the week) were scheduled for this new subject with the expectancy, already prevalent at the time, that at least a half hour should be available. Since its inception, gymnastics has expanded considerably. The School Board's German members cuddled and supported it, new schools had "Turn-halls" (Gymnastic assembly halls), and the latter 3were supplied with the necessary apparatus.....

    The present Tuley High School was the first publicly supported school in the land to have a well-equipped "Turn-Hall" (Gymnasium). Today, among nearly three hundred Chicago schools, one hundred and eighty teach physical culture in their gymnasiums, assembly halls, or vacant classrooms supplied with the proper facilities. The number of instructors, eight at the time of the adoption of this subject, increased to 108. Specifically: forty-eight instructors in the high schools, fifty-eight for the elementary grades and two at the Normal College. At the high schools we find a slight predominance of male teachers, but in the elementary classes their number shrinks considerably: eighteen men versus forty women. This difference is not attributable to a preference for female instructors, but finds its source in the fact that most of our best male students of the gymnastic seminaries have been given definite assurances of positions in 4other cities prior to the completion of the regular teacher's course, and an additional examination in another locality is not required, because the issuance of a diploma from a prominent and recognized institution, suffices to warrant their acceptance as capable physical culture instructors, while in Chicago no teacher can instruct unless he submits to a special examination.

    Aside from the rather severe demands which this institute exacts, the preliminary salary of the callisthenics teacher is anything but satisfactory. A young instructor of gymnastics, who taught for a year in other than Chicago schools, must continue in his chosen profession for an entire decennium ere he receives a maximum stipend of $l,500 per annum.

    A large number of cities facilitate matters considerably for the aspirant, and often give more lucrative remuneration during the early periods of 5acceptance. These, then, are the causes for the present dearth of male instructors for physical culture.

    The former Superintendent of Schools, Mrs. Ella Flagg Young, to whom we are greatly indebted because of her sentiments and positive stand for the furtherance of gymnastics, insisted that half of the callisthenics teaching force should be men, a stipulation which proved unfeasible because of the aforesaid prevailing conditions.

    While our School Board has done much in matters pertaining to school buildings with space for exercising, gymnastic halls, and classrooms with adequate appurtenances for the development of the human body, the time element which is dedicated to this cause has not undergone any changes since the first inception of this subject in our schools.

    Only fifty minutes to one hour per week is reserved for gymnastics in our 6elementary schools, and, in this respect, we do not show the progressive spirit of other nations. In Germany practically three hours are used for exercising, and in Japan, according to two Japanese teachers who visited Chicago, seven hours per week are specified for callisthenics in the primary classes of the public schools. There is a slight diminution, however, in the higher grades, but it does not drop below three hours during the week; and this is also compulsory in the senior university class.

    Now, in regard to "military drill" in our schools, why,--we have it, of course. It has been with us for years. It is part and parcel of our gymnastical system, but we use no such designation. This drilling is called "Ordnungsuebungen" (verbatim: "Order-exercises," marching formations and allied subjects would explain it, Translator). In the English language we use the term "tactics." The only distinction is in the commanding method, or, let us say, expressions. Thus the "commands," as 7given in our school tactics, are more suitable than to resort to the military phraseology, and therefore we use the former. Nevertheless, the later also finds some application in our higher institutions of learning.

    These "tactics" are executed with and without "wooden sticks;" in the upper grades, steel rods are substituted. Verily, the drill is here. We refrain, however, from using the adjective "military." and, just as we practice gymnastics here, so it has been on the curriculum of our youths in Germany, and this physical culture has done its fair share in producing capable German soldiers. According to German report, 600,000 or more members of the "turners," (gymnasts) are in the German army, and their achievements on the battlefield may be perused by anyone who reads the German Turnerzeitung (paper on Gymnastics, Transl.), as this publication gives a weekly list of all its members who were awarded the Iron Cross (a highly coveted medal for bravery. Transl.). The most efficient method in 8preparing for an impending war consists in a systematic development of the human body during our youth, and this requires time and a sufficient number of highly capable teachers.

    Our present Superintendent is an advocate of physical development during childhood. Perhaps he can reach the goal by providing the necessary requirements: more time and a larger teaching personnel.

    [Gymnastics, as taught by a German patriot called "Father Jahn," was introduced into the Chicago Public Schools by the Chicago Germans, likewise, German language instruction. Both subjects proved a bone ...

    German
    I A 1 a, I F 4, II B 3
  • Denní Hlasatel -- January 03, 1916
    Vojta Naprtek Pupils Celebrate

    One of the most successful New Year's Day celebrations was held at Sokol Chicago Hall on Kedzie Avenue, where the parents and friends of the pupils of the Vojta Naprstek Free Thought School met to witness a stage play and a mass drill dance with song accompaniment; both were successfully presented.

    The play is called "King of the Lilliputians," and was written by Frantisek Pravda.

    It is very interesting, and is instrumental in giving those who take part in it a good opportunity to speak Bohemian. It also points out the simple truths which are easily understood by children.

    The first act shows the accords and discords of children when at play. The second act takes us to the land of the Lilliputians, where a shoemaker's 2apprentice is made a king of the Lilliputians, and a carriage driver, for his misdeeds, is forced into slavery.

    This changing of the social station of the players in this fairy tale gives the children a lesson in the necessity for sociability and equality. The children in this play were drilled and directed by their teacher, Mr. B. Hladky

    The next number on the program was a dance, during which the dancers sang while in an oriental whirl. The young ladies danced with a grace quite natural to young girls.

    After the curtain went down on the play, a dance called "The Dance of the Flowers" was performed by forty-two young girls. This dance was directed by the girls' teacher, Mrs. Hulka. The performers were given a wonderful ovation.

    3

    Both teachers received gifts from their pupils. Miss Dolezal made the presentation to her teacher, Mr. B. Hladky, and gave a little presentation speech, and Miss M. Krametbauer made the presentation to her teacher, Mrs. Hulka.

    The large hall was well filled with the parents and friends of these pupils, and the management committee deserves praise for this most enjoyable celebration.

    The following young ladies took part in the second act: Lillie Dolezal, Marie Batek, Libuse Zavrel, Libuse Kanak, Helena Vach, Antonia Veprek, Matilda Iastovicka, Emilie Nemec, Ella Zoubek, Helena Zid, Emilie Lupinka, and Sylvia Krametbauer.

    One of the most successful New Year's Day celebrations was held at Sokol Chicago Hall on Kedzie Avenue, where the parents and friends of the pupils of the Vojta Naprstek ...

    Bohemian
    II B 1 c 1, III C, II B 2 f, II B 1 c 2
  • Denní Hlasatel -- January 03, 1916
    New Year Festival of the Cesko-Slovanska Jednota a Brilliant Success

    Under the auspices of the Supreme Lodge of the Cesko-Slovanska Jednota (Bohemian-Slavonic Union) the usual New Years Day festival was held at Pilsen Hall on Ashland Avenue, where hundreds of lodge members and friends of the Union filled the great hall.

    These New Years Day celebrations have a deep meaning to us because of the opportunity offered for close contact with our sisters and brothers, where we may be refreshed with good entertainment and above all gain immeasurably because of contacts made with men and women--all prospective members of our union.

    At these yearly celebrations, our well-wishers are given a chance to evaluate our yearly work for humanity, and see and hear about the work done by our union to attain our ideals of humanity, fraternity, and self-sufficiency.

    2

    In this respect, these celebrations are a means for propaganda; they help us gain new members; and, judging from the beautiful course of Saturday's entertainment and the enthusiasm displayed by everyone, the Grand Lodge of the Bohemian-Slavonic Union has gained all the objectives sought.

    The afternoon had really a holiday meaning; the cold, rainy weather made one feel quite cozy here.

    The busy managing committee prepared an interesting musical program, vocal and instrumental.

    The afternoon program was opened by the ochestra playing Verdi's overture "Nabuchodonosor". Mr. Kratochvil led the large orchestra.

    The playing of the first number seemed to put everyone into a jovial mood, which seemed to rise by degrees as the program went on.

    3

    The Bohemian Workingmen's Singing Society next sang Foerster's Velke, sire, rodne lany" (Broad fields of our native land) in such a captivating way that the audience applauded almost without end, so it seemed.

    We see that the Bohemian Workingmen's Singing Society have a new director. He is Mr. Josef Houdek, a man of kindly appearance; who is, above all, a remarkable director, whose efficiency we will observe many times in the future.

    The singing of this noted chorus was as tuneful as it always is, and the men confirmed again their remarkable reputation.

    As the singers left the stage, the audience applauding, the president of the Supreme Lodge, Mr. Evgen Frydl, who is a good speaker, had the pleasant duty of extending greetings to the audience. He appeared to be a very sympathetic person, and his words seemed to convey a meaning which could not be misunderstood.

    4

    In his sincere way, Mr. Frydl stressed the necessity for hard work among the membership to attain the new goals to be striven for during the year.

    Businessmen and manufacturers balance their books at the close of the year; so, too, our Union examines its work performed during the year, and so, too, do we expect work of even greater intensity in the new year, according to the speaker, Mr. Frydl.

    Mr. Frydl went on by saying that foreign associations now must be satisfied to state the fact that they have held their membership quotas, or are forced to admit a small decrease, whereas our Bohemian-American Union can show a membership increase, which is not as large as could be expected, because of restricted immigration, but which nevertheless, is quite encouraging.

    This increase in membership must be credited to the work of some of our members; among whom is Mr. Kalivoda, whose endeavors along these lines have 5brought results in the form of over one hundred new members.

    The speaker commended Mr. Kalivoda for his efforts and exhorted others to greater activity.

    At the close of his address, Mr. Frydl wished all a "Happy New Year". That Mr. Frydl spoke sincerely was evident by the spontaneous applause when he finished speaking.

    Mrs. Ruzena Fik delivered the next address, saying that she was happy to see the increase in membership of the Bohemian-American Union. Especially significant is the fact that the new members are young and in excellent physical condition.

    Mrs. Fik spoke of the work of the administrative officers; of the good results of their labors; of the performance of their duties for small remunerations as compared with those given by the large insurance companies who employ 6highly paid officials and office help, where business is transacted in large offices where high rents are paid for their use. All these expenses of course must be paid by those insured, in contrast to our economy, which is reflected in our lower insurance rates.

    The speaker asked the assembly to bring up their children as true adherents of the Czech nation, and have them join our fraternal organizations in America which need new members to replace our thinning ranks. When Mrs. Fik finished her address, she received the same hearty applause as did the speakers who preceded her.

    A violinist stepped upon the stage to play. He was Mr. Vaclav E. Medek, a young Chicagoan graduated from the Prague Conservatory of Music. He played Dvorak's "Humoresque".

    Mr. Medek proved his artistry at a concert when he had first arrived in America after completing his studies in Prague. And, at this appearance, the 7young artist again showed his worth by his superb playing of the ever popular selection.

    This violinist proved, by his beautiful playing, that he is a most worthy member of our artist colony. Mr. Medek was roundly applauded and had to give many encores.

    The principal speaker of the afternoon was Mr. Jan Jelinek. He was a very satisfactory speaker, and began with a reference to the sad plight of the Czech nation in the year 1915. Then he spoke of the purpose and benefits derived by members of our union as individuals , and then as members of a great body such as our Bohemian-American Union.

    The speaker made many references to our community life, which should evoke serious thought and consideration. When he ended his speech, he was applauded unstintingly.

    8

    The next number on the program, played by the orchestra, was "Grand Potpourri," by R. Schepgrell, which composition is a so-called patchwork of many opera motives.

    After the orchestral selection, a young pianist stepped out on the stage; she was Miss Emma Trnka, and she played Chopin's "Ballad in A Flat Major".

    Her playing was a pleasant surprise for everyone present. With her finished technique and musical understanding she captivated all. When she finished playing, Miss Trnka was presented with a large bouquet of flowers, and was applauded so much that she was forced to give an encore.

    Mr. Janda, secretary of the Grand Lodge, presented his yearly report, and said that, since the last yearly meeting, the Union had lost by death one of its most efficient secretaries in the person of Mr. Josef Hrusa, who served in office many years; the speaker proposed that memory of the departed brother be honored by everyone rising and standing in silence for a short 9while. This was done as requested.

    Mr. Janda went on with his order of business, saying that the Bohemian-American Union always supported Bohemian Free Thought schools, and was the first organization to adopt a monthly tax on each member for the schools' support.

    The speaker spoke of the members' interest in Czech affairs abroad and of the political action of the Czech nation in Europe.

    Five hundred dollars was donated by the Union for the work to free Bohemia, also it was agreed that every other worthy cause here in America should receive support.

    Jan Hribal, financial secretary of the Union, presented a very interesting and encouraging report which points to the good financial standing of the Bohemian-American Union.

    According to the financial secretary's report, the death benefit carried over from last year amounted to $11,063.20, which added to this year's surplus of 10$68,564.57, totals $79,627.77. Of this amount, $79,510.60 has been disbursed, so that the cash on hand amounts to $4,117.17.

    After the reading of this report, Mr. Hribal made a recommendation that all Bohemian fraternal organizations combine to form one great union in the United States.

    This recommendation was received by all present with great applause.

    The Bohemian Workingmen's Society again sang two beautiful songs for men's chorus; "Marjanka" (Marie) and "Kovarovic Andulka", (The Smith's Anna), which were very sympathetically received by the audience.

    Mr. Medek, the violinist, then played a difficult Hungarian Dance by Brahms, to the satisfaction of all.

    The pianist, Miss Trnka, sat down to play Liszt's "Hungarian Rhapsody 11Number 12". In the playing of this composition, the player showed her mastery of the very difficult passages in this brilliant composition.

    Entertainment of a lighter nature was supplied by Mr. Jan Kocan and Jan Studeny, with comic impersonations.

    The last number of the program was presented about five-thirty o'clock. Altogether this year's manifestation of the Bohemian-American Union was a very successful one, and the Grand Lodge and its protectorates may be congratulated upon the outcome of this memorable celebration.

    Under the auspices of the Supreme Lodge of the Cesko-Slovanska Jednota (Bohemian-Slavonic Union) the usual New Years Day festival was held at Pilsen Hall on Ashland Avenue, where hundreds of ...

    Bohemian
    III B 2, I G, III H, II D 1, II B 1 c 3
  • Daily Jewish Courier -- January 04, 1916
    Zion Convention Steps Out for Jewish Congress.

    The Zion Convention yesterday accomplished constructive work for the cause of Zion. Excellent reports of great work were given out by the country delegates in reference to their local activities for the cause of Zion.

    Amiable speeches were made at the gathering of the Knights of Zion Convention. Professor H. Collen of Wisconsin, Doctor Shmaryohu Levin and Mr. M. Abrams.

    Professor Collen, spoke on the planning of the Jewish Congress and showed the audience the importance of such a Congress for the Jewish nation.

    2

    Dr. Shmaryohu Levin, in his masterful speech, appealed for the Hebrew language. He pointed out the vital importance of Hebrew culture, appealing to the audience for their support of the cause. Mr. Abrams also appealed for the support of the Hebrew Journal Hasorn which will be published in the near future. He stated, that the main accomplishment of yesterday's convention, was the decision to hold the Jewish Congress.

    Judge Bergston, chairman of the Resolutions Committee, read a resolution which explained, that the convention of the Knights of Zion declared itself for a democratic Jewish Congress, with a donation of $50 to support the cause. The delegates have also donated $100 for the cause.

    3

    The meeting yesterday was held in the Egyptian Hall at the Hyde Park Masonic Temple, with Mr. Kaplan in the chair. Mr. Tictin greeted the convention in the name of the B'nai Zion and the Zion Literary Society. He pointed out the strength and tender feelings of the Zionist philosophy, with its influence in the Jewish homes on the West Side, and expressed the hope that still greater success will follow.

    Mr. Meyer Abrams, orator of the Executive Board, spoke out and made a strong appeal to assist in reviving the Hebrew language in America. He also showed that the Federation of American Zionists has planned the publication of a new Hebrew Journal Hasorn, with Dr. Levin, I. D. Berkovitz, and Dr. Mazamod as its editors, and he desires that the Zionist organizations should assist in this undertaking by buying $10 shares issued by the Federation.

    4

    Dr. Levin said: "In Jewish life, the Holy Land, Palestine and the Hebrew language play important roles. These are the only threads which bind our Judaism together. A nation cannot exist without a language and without that, it must become extinct."

    The delegates and the guests were then transferred to another hall, where the ladies and the active members of the Englewood B'nai Zion, together with the Sifrus Zion organization, with the aid of J. Withal, the chairman of the hall, had arranged an excellent lunch with a very fine selected Carmel wine. The audience drank the Palestine Carmel wine to the health and good fortune of all Zion organizations.

    5

    Cantor Milkowsky sang a few Hebrew songs and the entire audience accompanied him. Judge Mack made a strong appeal for the support of the provisional Zionist fund and immediately after his speech approximately $6,000 was pledged and collected for the cause. Nearly every one present at the meeting and banquet, did his part in the way of donations. Special attention was given to Mr. Louis D. Brandeis and Dr. Levin, who sat together close to the toastmaster, Mr. Max Shulman. Mr. Brandeis was a little late in coming to the banquet, on account of a previous banquet, given in his honor by the Chicago Bar Association. He had to cut his speech short, so that he could catch a train at 12 o'clock for his home in Boston....

    The Zion Convention yesterday accomplished constructive work for the cause of Zion. Excellent reports of great work were given out by the country delegates in reference to their local activities ...

    Jewish
    III B 4, IV, I C, III H, III B 2, II B 1 d
  • Abendpost -- January 04, 1916
    Destitute German Veterans Annual Festivity in Commemoration of the Founding of the German Empire

    The administrative council in charge of the Veterans Relief Fund created on Jan. 18, 1911, will hold its annual festivity at the Northside Turn hall on Thursday, Jan. 20, to commemorate the founding of the German Empire 45 years ago. The entire net proceeds will be used to augment the relief fund which has been created for the benefit of the local destitute veterans of Germany's significant period, the years 1864, 1866, and 1870-71. Nearly all of the 160 veterans living here, excluding the injured, were in France on that memorable day, Jan. 18, 1871, when the German Empire was founded in the Royal Palace at Versailles. [Explanatory - We Americans call it the "the Palace," but the German newspaper uses the term "castle," which is probably more appropriate, as this building was formerly a fortress. Transl.]

    2

    Many of the men were already members of the older contingents at that time, and now, unfortunately, about one fourth are in dire distress through no fault of their own, suffering from relapse and ailments attributable to advanced age. [This sentence refers to the "Land-wehrleute" or "Home-defense men," old men used for reserves during the Franco-German war of 1870-71.]

    Let us hope that Chicago's Germanity will, at least on this day, not forget the German veterans who have been in our midst for the last forty years.

    The program will be: Address by Professor Scherger, of the Armour Institute; a cappella singing by the twenty-three United Male Choral 3Clubs of Chicago, under the leadership of Karl Reckzeh; concert by M. Ballmann's entire orchestra; marble groups (impersonated) by the Active Division of the Chicago Turngemeinde (gymnast community, in this sense comprises several clubs. Trans.); Large, animated picture: Deference to the German Emperor and the Emperor and King of Austria-Hungary, Franz Joseph, soldiers of various nations. In the background, George Washington and the Angel of Peace. [The article, in reference to the German Emperor, does not state whether the present ruler is meant or the crowning of the Emperor in 1871. Trans.]

    Finale: Imposing theatrical production, "The Siege of Warschau," by Ullrich Haupt. The actors of the German Theater will cooperate, as well as the Song Divisions of the German Veterans Association of 4Chicago and many former soldiers, all in the regular grey field uniforms. Trenches and other realistic displays, etc.

    Admission 50 cts. No dancing.

    The administrative council in charge of the Veterans Relief Fund created on Jan. 18, 1911, will hold its annual festivity at the Northside Turn hall on Thursday, Jan. 20, to ...

    German
    III B 2, II D 10, II A 3 a, III B 3 a, II B 1 c 1