The Chicago Foreign Language Press Survey was published in 1942 by the Chicago Public Library Omnibus Project of the Works Progress Administration of Illinois. The purpose of the project was to translate and classify selected news articles that appeared in the foreign language press from 1855 to 1938. The project consists of 120,000 typewritten pages translated from newspapers of 22 different foreign language communities of Chicago.

Read more about this historic project.

Filter by Date

  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- October 10, 1861
    A Weighty Voice for the Suppression of Slavery America's Most Prominent Catholic Writer Advocates the Abolition of Slavery (Editorial)

    Who among our people has not heard of Orestes Brownson, the genial editor of "Quarterly Review," the most important organ of the Catholic Church in America? Until a short time ago Mr. Brownson was averse to abolition. However, several months ago, he declared himself in favor of the principle of restricting slavery, and in the latest issue of his journal he advocates the outright abolition of slavery.

    He advances the following reasons for his new stand on the issue:

    "Hitherto I have opposed abolition because of my love for the Constitution; for I believe that more stress should be placed on the preservation of 2peace in America and the whole world, and on the safety of the Union with its Constitution, than on the abolition of slavery in the Southern States. But now I am convinced that slavery must be abolished in order to suppress the rebellion; indeed, we must abolish slavery to defend the Union, our liberty, and our form of government!

    "We have but one alternative," declares Mr. Brownson, "and this is especially true of our laboring class: either we must subdue the rebels, or the rebels will subdue free laborers. Either we must annihilate the Southern Confederacy, or it will force its rule upon the free states and reduce their laborers to serfdom. In that case freedom in non-slave states would be restricted to a privileged class, but our working classes would be deprived of their liberty and would be placed on the same level with the plantation slaves of the South. Then, instead of a Christian Republic founded on human rights as our fathers intended, we would have a heathen government founded on slavery, which is directly opposed to Christianity."

    3

    Mr. Brownson warns against taking this War too lightly. "Who is not for us in this crisis is against us," he says, "and must be treated as an enemy. The very existence of the nation is at stake. Since no means are being spared to destroy it, in accordance with the law of self-preservation we have the right to use any means necessary to preserve it. This War cannot be carried on successfully as long as we treat the Southern Rebels as friends and allow them all advantages, instead of harming them as much as possible. The Rebels are using all their power to subject us; therefore we must employ all our strength and resources to subdue them.

    "The slave population of the South is a natural means of overthrowing the South. The three million slaves of the South are a component part of the people of the United States; they owe our Government loyalty, but they are also entitled to the protection of the Federal Government.

    "The Government of the United States has the right not only to arm the whites in west Virginia and East Tennessee, but also to make friends and allies of 4the slaves, to equip them with guns and swords, and to put them in the armed forces of the country. It is of no consequence that these people have heretofore been slaves in the respective states according to law and custom; for the laws and customs of these states have been invalidated through the act of rebellion. All laws for the defense of the life and property of the Rebels have been repealed by the rebellion; the rebellion has deprived the Rebels of the right to live and to possess property. If that were not a fact, the Government of the United States would have no right to suppress the rebellion by force of arms, or to confiscate the property of the Rebels.

    "If the slaves are not considered as property, they are citizens of the United States, they owe the Federal Government loyalty, they are duty-bound to serve the Government, and, like all other loyal citizens, they are entitled to the protection of the United States.

    "If the United States was ever constrained to regard the Negroes of the 5South as slaves, that obligation was terminated by the rebellion and the Government must now accord the Negroes the rights and consideration due all free men, thereby removing the cause for the rebellion, slavery.

    "And if the slaves of the Rebel states are to be looked upon as chattel, the Government has the right to confiscate them just as it may confiscate the rice, cotton, or other property of the Rebels. This right is based on the Confiscation Act which was adopted by Congress August 4.

    "The argument that the suppression of slavery would estrange West Virginia And East Tennessee from the Union, and make enemies of Maryland, Kentucky, and Missouri is anything but tenable; for it was just this eternal consideration for the South that misled the Government into following the detrimental policy of taking half measures. Fear is the most ignorant counselor, and a government which is reluctant to follow the best policy, fearing that friends who object to the procedure might be estranged, is lost. The boundary between friend and enemy must be well defined. In a crisis 6like the present one, lukewarm friends and they who are our friends only when we make concessions in behalf of their interests or give way to their prejudices, are worse than open enemies. Shall the Northern States sacrifice their lives and property merely to satisfy the pretensions of the slaveholders in Maryland, Kentucky, and Missouri? That would be unjust and unreasonable. The slaveholders of Maryland, Kentucky, and Missouri are as deeply obligated to sacrifice their slave property for the welfare of the Union as the Northern States are to sacrifice themselves and their possessions to quell the Rebels. Besides, loyal slaveholders could be reimbursed for any losses which they might suffer through granting their slaves freedom."

    As we note from Tuesday's issue of the New York Herald, which was delivered to us last evening, Archbishop Hughes felt duty-bound to offer a strong protest against this masterful article of Mr. Brownson. We shall comment on this protest tomorrow.

    Who among our people has not heard of Orestes Brownson, the genial editor of "Quarterly Review," the most important organ of the Catholic Church in America? Until a short time ...

    German
    I J, I G, III C, II B 2 d 2
  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- October 11, 1861
    Archbishop Hughes on Abolition (Editorial)

    We have read the long article published by Archbishop Hughes in his organ, The Metropolitan Record, as a protest against Mr. Brownson, whose comments on abolition appeared in the columns of yesterday's issue of this paper, and we shall now give the essentials of Archbishop Hughes' article, and add our comments.

    In the opening paragraph the Archbishop makes the mistake of confounding with the old abolition the ever-increasing desire of a great part of our nation for the abolition of slavery. He perceives those who demand that the present crisis be utilized to do away with slavery as merely a "handful of old fanatical abolitionists" who regard the Constitution of the United States as a "pact with hell" and advocate that the Constitution be discarded and that slavery be abolished. He does not take into account that many thousands who previous to the outbreak of the Slaveholders Rebellion were against abolition and in favor of conscientiously sustaining constitutional guarantees to slavery, now, since the 2slaveholders are trampling upon the Constitution, demand that slavery be abolished, partly for military reasons and partly for political reasons; for a repetition of the Slaveholders Rebellion can be avoided only by the abolition of slavery. He does not realize that the aspect has been entirely changed by the Rebellion, that the slaveholders themselves have transferred the issue from the legal forum to the battlefield, and have abandoned it to the deadly thrusts of military laws.

    Had the Archbishop thought of what we have just stated, he would probably have refrained from making uncouth gibes against abolitionists, whom he accuses of letting others do their (the abolitionist's) fighting, and whom he advises to form a brigade consisting of abolitionists and to join it when it goes to the front. Now it is true that there are not many abolitionists of the old school among our armed forces--because there are not many of that clan who are still living. But in our army there are thousands who earnestly desire that slavery be terminated by this War, and they have shown at Carthage, at Centerville, at Springfield, and at Hatteras that they know how to fight.

    3

    The Archbishop attempts to refute Brownson's statement (which the South itself confirms) that slavery is the fundamental cause of the Rebellion, by advancing the following monstrous sophistries:

    "Slavery existed since the Declaration of Independence, and before; if slavery could ever have become the cause of a civil war between the people, between the states, or between the inhabitants of the Colonies, the civil war would have begun eighty or a hundred and seventy years ago. Thus it follows that slavery cannot be the cause of this War."

    What logic! We could just as well conclude: Patrick began drinking fusel oil in his early childhood; if fusel oil would have caused Pat's delirium tremens, he would have developed the disease in his childhood. Hence fusel oil cannot be the cause of the delirium tremens from which he is now suffering. The learned Archbishop should have known that American slavery did not come into prominence until after Whitney's invention of the cotton gin, that it gradually developed into a national economic power and thereby became a commanding political factor, and that it was not until it had attained this growth that it dared to 4take up the battle for political supremacy with the free states.

    He admits that Christianity, and especially Catholicism, is opposed to slavery on principle; but he says that where African slavery once existed, or where the present slaveholder is not responsible for the enslavement of his slaves, the Church would do no more than demand that the slaveholders maintain a benevolent and paternal attitude toward their slaves, and that the slaves be loyal to their masters--until Divine Providence sees fit to change this social system.

    Well--it is our opinion that now is the time Divine Providence saw fit to effect this change. Or is the Archbishop waiting for signs and miracles? According to our belief, the fact that these two social systems, free labor and slavery, have taken up arms against one another and are presently to be engaged in a battle of life and death is sufficient evidence that the hour has come. In the course of his article the Archbishop makes the superfluous admission that "the United States Government has the right to take the slaves from the slaveholders if military pressure demands it, but under no other conditions".

    5

    There is much truth in the next paragraph of the Archbishop's article. He criticizes the old abolitionists for having hastily demanded that slavery be abolished without giving any attention to the problem of what should be done with the emancipated Negroes? However, the Archbishop does not tell us who is to blame for this neglect.

    One certainly cannot blame fanatical idealists and enthusiasts, because they were the first ones to concern themselves with the problem of putting an end to slavery. They were entirely engrossed with the principle itself, and gave no thought to the manner or means of applying it. Had practical Americans taken up the problem of abolishing slavery, we would have known long ago how the emancipated Negro could be cared for.

    Well do we know that not idealism, but practical statesmanship can solve the slave question. But it cannot be solved by continually advising people to keep their hands off the matter and await divine intervention, as the Archbishop suggests. And no one can contribute to the solution of the problem by 6repeating this admonition at this time when Providence has given the signals to act--the beating of the drum, the call of the trumpet, and the roar of the cannon.

    No--it is the sacred duty of just men who exercise a powerful moral influence upon a part of the people, as Archbishop Hughes does, to request that the people abolish slavery, and thus they will arouse the American people to solve the great problem.

    As soon as this problem is fully and honestly discussed, suitable proposals for its solution will be forthcoming, and the National Legislature will then be able to select the best ones.

    We have read the long article published by Archbishop Hughes in his organ, The Metropolitan Record, as a protest against Mr. Brownson, whose comments on abolition appeared in the columns ...

    German
    I J, III C
  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- June 24, 1863
    Meeting of German Catholics

    A meeting of German Catholics of Chicago was held last evening at the German House. The purpose of this meeting was to discuss ways and means of purchasing a plot for a cemetery to be used by the members of the city's four Catholic congregations. The meeting was very well attended. Mr. John Herting served as chairman and Mr. John Stiesen as secretary.

    Mr. Caspar Pfeiffer, a member of a committee which had been appointed to confer on the matter with the Catholic Bishop of Chicago, reported that the Prelate had not given his consent to the purchase of the proposed property and would not officiate at the dedication in case the deal for the plot of ground were consummated. However, Mr. Pfeiffer thought that the Bishop could be persuaded to change his mind, and urged the assembly to proceed with negotiations for the acquisition of the property.

    Chairman Herting announced that the members of Saint Michael's Parish had 2already bought 191 lots for $600. Saint Joseph's Church also informed the assembly that members of that congregation had paid $189 dollars as a down payment on a number of lots.

    The committee of Saint Peter's Parish announced the Church could not join in the purchase as yet, because the members expect to build a new church soon,and they fear that the Bishop would not approve of this project if they acted contrary to his wish with reference to the cemetery. The congregation of Saint Franciscus also said that it could not take an active part in the purchase as yet.

    The chairman informed the attendants that $1100 has already been received as part payment for the lots in question, and that he was certain the sale was as good as made, since the full amount required is only $2,500.

    Mr. John Heyl proposed that a committee of eight be appointed to draw up a constitution, and that two members of each of the four congregations be appointed 3to serve on the committee. This proposal was accepted, and the following men were appointed: Saint Michael Church, Andreas Mueller and Niels Gaerten; Saint Peter's Church, Caspar Pfeiffer and Leonhard T. Otten; Saint Franciscus Church, Johann Sendelbach and P. Zirbes; Saint Joseph's Church, Johann Vogt and Peter Molter.

    This committee is required to submit a draft in the next meeting.

    The chairman gave notice that trustees must be elected to take care of the purchase and to make application for incorporation. It was proposed that the treasurers of the respective congregations act in the capacity of trustees. This proposal was accepted. The trustees are: Fred Schweissthal, P. Herring, B. Banker, and J. Sendelbach.

    Mr. John Schmitz proposed that anyone who wishes to claim a lot would have to pay $5 by July 1, or a sum equivalent to the difference between $5 and any amount already paid. This proposal was accepted. (A great number of members paid $5 immediately.)

    4

    All members who wish to have a lot, but have not yet subscribed, were requested to act immediately.

    The committee which was intrusted with the collection of payments request the members who are in arrears with their payments to bring the money to the home of their respective collector.

    It was decided to hold another meeting at the same place and hour next Monday.

    Adjournment followed.

    A meeting of German Catholics of Chicago was held last evening at the German House. The purpose of this meeting was to discuss ways and means of purchasing a plot ...

    German
    III C, IV
  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- June 01, 1864
    Saint Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Congregation Lays Cornerstone of New Building

    In a solemn ceremonial service, the Saint Paul's Evangelical Lutheran congregation (German) laid the cornerstone of its new house of worship yesterday afternoon at four o'clock. The new church is under construction at the corner of Franklin and Superior Streets. Although weather conditions were very unfavorable, about four hundred persons gathered to witness the rites, at which Reverend Henry Wunder officiated.

    After a band had rendered an appropriate prelude, the congregation sang the hymn "Praise To The Lord, The Almighty, The King of Creation". Thereupon, the Reverend Richmann, of Shaumburg, delivered an address in German on a topic in keeping with the occasion. Reverend Beier, pastor of the Lutheran Church on the West Side, spoke in English, substituting for an Anglo-American clergyman who had accepted an invitation to address the congregation but who was unable to appear. After another hymn had been 2sung by the congregation, Reverend Wunder laid the documents that were to be placed in the cornerstone in a glass box, which was then laid in a copper box. The documents referred to were:

    1. The Book of Concord, which contains the confessional writings of the orthodox Evangelical Lutheran Church;

    2. A copy of the hymnal used by the congregation;

    3. A copy of the constitution of Saint Paul's, signed by the officers, of the members of the building committee, and the voting members of the congregation;

    4. A description of the ceremony attending the occasion;

    5. The name of the architect and the contractor erecting the building.

    6. A copy of all the newspapers published in Chicago.

    Reverend Wunder then placed the copper box in the space reserved for it; the keystone was dropped, and the service was concluded with the singing of another hymn. The edifice, according to the plans drawn by the well-known 3architect, Otto Matz, will be 55 feet wide and 100 feet long, and will be built in the Roman style. The basement will be 18 feet high, and will be arranged for school rooms. The upper part of the structure will be of brick construction. There will be one facade on Superior Street and another on Franklin Street. The door and window frames will be of cut stone. The tower will be on the Franklin Street side and will be 150 feet high, measured from the level of the sidewalk. There will be three entrances on the Franklin Street side. The windows will be of stained glass.

    [Translator's note: The Reverend Henry Wunder was born on March 12, 1830, at Muggendorf, Bavaria, Germany, the youngest of the nine children of Conrad and Barbara Mueller Wunder. When Henry was eleven years old, his father died. He attended the village school at Muggendorf until 1844, when he entered the institute of Reverend Loehe of Neudettelsau, Bavaria, with the intention of devoting himself to Lutheran mission work in America. He graduated from Loehe's institute in 1846, and was sent to America. He sailed from Bremen on the 4"Caroline," and landed in New York after a trip of sixty three days. He immediately set out for the little known Seminary of the Lutheran Church, which, at that time was located in Altenburg, Missouri. He was graduated in 1849, and on December 16 of that year he was ordained by the Reverend C. F. W. Walther. His first charge was the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Millstadt, Illinois, which he served until 1851, when he accepted a call to become the pastor of the First Saint Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church of Chicago, which had been founded by the Reverend Selle. He began his work with this congregation on September 18, 1851. At that time, Saint Paul's house of worship was on Indiana Street, between Wells and Franklin Streets, where it had been built in 1849. The congregation grew rapidly under the leadership of the Reverend Wunder, and in 1864 a larger church was built, which served only until 1871 when it was destroyed by the Chicago Fire. Wunder and all but three of his flock lost everything they owned. They were not discouraged, however, and immediately built another structure, an exact replica of the one that was destroyed. Reverend Wunder continued to 5serve Saint Paul's until his death in 1915, having served in the ministry for a little more than 64 years and at Saint Paul's for more than 62 years. He also made extended mission journeys to neighboring states and established congregations in La Porte, Indiana; Saint Joseph, Michigan; Aurora, Joliet, Champaign, and Rock Island, Illinois.]

    In a solemn ceremonial service, the Saint Paul's Evangelical Lutheran congregation (German) laid the cornerstone of its new house of worship yesterday afternoon at four o'clock. The new church is ...

    German
    III C, IV
  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- June 25, 1866
    Cornerstone of Saint Franziskus Church Is Laid

    Yesterday afternoon, the cornerstone of Saint Franziskus(Francis) Church, which is being erected on the corner of Newberry and Twelfth Streets, was laid. An immense crowd assembled at the scene, and when the time appointed for the ceremony arrived, one could see nothing but people on and about the platform.

    As we have stated in a previous article, the building will be 66 feet wide and 160 feet long, the steeple will be 150 feet high, and the edifice as a whole will be a credit to our city.

    For the convenience of the clergymen, a temporary platform had been built immediately next to the place where the cornerstone was to be laid. At about half-past three, the procession made its appearance. It consisted of several 2Catholic societies carrying their banners and other insignia, and was led by several bands; it took up its position within the foundation of the structure and around the platform. Several Irish-Catholic societies were also represented, and a great many more of their members would have appeared if they had not been misled by statements published in a certain newspaper to believe that their presence was not desired. A large company of school children, boys and girls, the latter wearing white and blue dresses, also marched in the procession under the leadership of their teachers.

    It was four o'clock by the time the societies and the school children had taken their positions about the platform. Then Bishop Luehr, who, as we know, came from Fort Wayne, Indiana, made his appearance; he was attended by two assisting clergymen, and made a lengthy address in the English language. He informed the assembly of the purpose and significance of the act which he was about to perform, by comparing the ceremonies of the church with military ceremonies. He pointed out that just as the flag is considered to be a sacred necessity by the soldiers who gather about it, so do the faithful 3gather about the cross, the symbol of the Redeemer. [Translator's note: This badly constructed sentence is a faithful translation of the original.] The Bishop declared that the erection of a church also required certain ceremonies, especially the laying of the cornerstone. He expressed his satisfaction at seeing such a large attendance and invoked divine blessings upon the rites he was about to perform and upon the edifice and the congregation.

    Then the stone was lifted to a height of about fifteen feet, lowered, and placed in the correct position; and while the congregation sang hymns, the Bishop placed a tin box which contained various documents, newspapers, etc., into the opening provided for that purpose, sprinkled holy water upon the stone, and dropped the cornerstone into place. The Bishop then addressed the assembly in the German language, thus concluding the festivities.

    Yesterday afternoon, the cornerstone of Saint Franziskus(Francis) Church, which is being erected on the corner of Newberry and Twelfth Streets, was laid. An immense crowd assembled at the scene, and ...

    German
    III C, I B 4
  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- September 12, 1867
    First Entertainment of German Young Men's Club

    On Wednesday evening September 11, the German Young Men's Club gave its first entertainment at Library Hall, at the corner of Randolph and La Salle Streets.

    By 8 P. M. several hundred people, men and women, young men and young ladies, assembled in the hall, in compliance with requests made from the pulpits of various Protestant churches and personal invitations extended by members of the Club.

    The German Young Men's Club was organized May 9, 1866, by five students of a local American business college. The thirty-five members of the Club were born in this country,and work as clerks, bookkeepers, etc., for American firms. They are anxious to retain a knowledge of the German language.

    2

    The Club meets every Saturday evening in the social room of the Sixth Methodist Church. The meetings are conducted in the German language, and the programs, which consist of debates, readings, declamations, discussions of political issues, etc., are also all German.

    The Protestant pastors recommend the Club to the youths of their congregations in an effort to counteract the evil influences which lure many young men away from the Christian Church.

    The proceeds of this entertainment will be used to establish a library for the German Young Men's Club.

    Program

    1. Selection from "Freischuetz".......................Weber

    Theodore Falk, Pianist

    (Played on a Knabe piano)

    3

    2. Recitation, "Die Schlacht," .................. by Mr. Rieke

    3. Tableau, "Washington Crossing the Delaware"

    4. "Die Harmonie".....................................

    Double Quartet

    5. Reading, "Muttersprache," by Theodore Falk

    6. Tableau, "Constantine Sees the Cross in the Sky, and below the Cross the Words: 'In This Sign Thou Wilt Be Victorious'"

    7. "Phantasy" ........................................

    Theodore Falk, Pianist

    8. Reading by J. L. Hinners

    9. Tableau, "Liberty and Union"

    10. Overture from "The Caliph of Bagdad" ............................

    Falk and Coffin, Pianists

    11. Epilogue by J. W. Hoffmann

    12. "Gesellschaftslied"

    Double Quartet

    4

    13. Tableau, "Hector Defeats the Greeks"

    14. "Good Night" ................................

    Men's Chorus

    The program was well received. The assembly applauded frequently, showing that it appreciated the efforts of the performers. The double quartet consisted of three members of the Young Men's Club, four members of the Germaniamaennerchur, and one member of the Concordia Maennerchor....

    On Wednesday evening September 11, the German Young Men's Club gave its first entertainment at Library Hall, at the corner of Randolph and La Salle Streets. By 8 P. M. ...

    German
    III E, III C, II B 1 a
  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- November 02, 1867
    Three Hundred and Fiftieth Anniversary of Reformation Seventeen Lutheran Congregations Commemorate Event with Divine Services and Love Feast

    On October 31, 1517, Luther nailed his ninety-five theses to the door of the Castle Church at Wittenberg, Germany. On October 31, 1867, this epochal event was observed on a grand scale, in the New World as well as in the Old.

    The German and Norwegian Lutheran Churches of Chicago, Addison, Elk Grove, Dunton, Lyonsville, Proviso, Niles, Schaumberg, Rodensburg, Dundee, Cottage Hill, Kankakee, Aurora, and Union Hill, commemorated the day with processions and festive services.

    On the North Side, between seven and eight hundred children who attend Saint Paul's Evangelical Lutheran school (Reverend Henry Wunder) marched in solemn procession. Similar processions were held on the North Side by the children 2of Immanuel Congregation, on the South Side by the pupils of Trinity Congregation, and on the West Side by the children of Saint John's School. The significance of the Reformation was the sermon topic in the service held in the Norwegian Lutheran Church on Erie Street (Reverend Peterson), and on West Erie Street (Reverend Kron).

    Yesterday all of the above-mentioned congregations met for a joint service at the grove near Addison, three miles from Cottage Hill.

    It is a good custom of Germans to be thorough in everything, in amusements as well as in serious matters, such as church festivities, not merely to sip at the fountain, but to drink in full draughts. While Americans celebrate important events only on one day, Germans celebrate for three days, or even longer; for instance Christmas, Easter, and Pentecost. And they followed this good old custom when they observed the anniversary of the Reformation.

    The train which left the Galena depot yesterday morning, at nine o'clock, 3consisted of fourteen cars, and contained about fifteen hundred passengers. The full Great Western Band led the vast throng which proceeded to Cottage Hill, where the great number of Chicagoans was augmented by thousands of members from the country churches named above.

    From Cottage Hill the vast crowd marched in orderly procession, through fields of stubble and over rolling prairies, to Addison, where a brief halt was made. All stores in the town were closed, and the residents stood in doorways and greeted their passing fellow Lutherans, and then followed them over Salt Creek to the scene of festivities.

    The Great Western Band accompanied the congregation, which sang appropriate hymns. Reverend Schmidt of Elk Grove preached the sermon. He briefly sketched the situation of the Christian Church as it was at the time when Luther began his work, and as it is today. He stated that the Papacy has not improved its doctrinal position since the Reformation, pointing out that Rome had added the 4false doctrine of the immaculate conception of the Virgin Mary to the host of unbiblical tenets of the Catholic Church, had canonized twenty-one alleged martyrs, and that a Catholic priest could murder a seventeen-year-old girl in a convent and receive no punishment from the higher officials of the papal church--save that of being transferred to another convent. Reverend Schmidt continued: "Luther, who was undoubtedly God's instrument, saved the church from the darkness of unbelief, superstition, and perverted doctrines, restored the pure gospel of salvation to the pulpit, refuted the chief doctrine of the Pope (that man must save himself from the consequence of his evil acts by performing good works). Luther emphasized that, according to the Bible, man is saved by faith in the merit and work of Jesus Christ, who suffered and died for the sins of all men, redeemed them from sin, and thus reconciled them with God. However, the battle against Rome is not yet concluded, and we must, therefore, be vigilant, lest we again fall prey to the pernicious teachings of the Antichrist".....

    Professor Selle then addressed the Norwegian Lutherans in the English language.

    5

    This fact reminded us of great historical events, of the joint struggle of German and Swedish Protestants during the Thirty Years' War, when they won recognition and equality with the Catholics.

    Meanwhile, innumerable tables, covered with white linen tablecloths, had been filled with a great variety of food; there were Martinmas geese, which ordinarily would have been permitted to live until November 10 [Translator's note: Martinmas, or the Feast of Saint Martin, was observed on November 11], there were large hams, great loaves of bread, cakes, pies, all kinds of preserves, and there was butter, the equal of which is unknown to Chicagoans. These vast stores of food are a credit to the hospitality of the people of Addison. And the members of the Chicago churches supplied plenty of coffee and sugar--one hundred and twenty-five dollars' worth. Everybody was invited to eat free of charge. The food that was not consumed was donated to the Lutheran Normal School at Addison.

    An offering was also taken for the School, and, to judge from what we saw on 6the collection plates, the contribution could not have been small; it must have amounted to at least $1,800. In addition, the institution also benefited from the sale of medals, which were made and sold in commemoration of the event. These medals were imprinted with the words: "Three hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the Reformation, observed by the American Lutheran Church on October 31, 1867. God's word and Luther's doctrine pure shall to eternity endure."

    After the meal, the people gathered in groups and spent a few hours in pleasant conversation.

    At half-past three the Chicagoans started for home, where they arrived about six o'clock.

    The Normal School at Addison, which was erected at a cost of $25,000, and which was opened three years ago with an enrollment of eighteen, is now attended by 7eighty young men; and still it cannot supply the demand for Lutheran schoolteachers. [Translator's note: The Normal School of Addison was moved to River Forest, Illinois, in 1914, and is now known as Concordia Teachers' College. The present enrollment is about 350, and sixteen professors are employed.]

    The professors are: F. Lindemann, J. Selle, and P. Sauer. They are able teachers and God-fearing men.

    The following pastors were present: J. Beyer of Immanuel Church; J. Doederlein of Trinity Church; H. Wunder of Saint Paul's Church; J. Grosse of Saint John's Church; O. Peterson and A. Koren, of the two Norwegian Lutheran Churches in Chicago; F. Zucker from Proviso, H. Mertens from Lyonsville; C. Franke from Addison; L. Schmidt from Elk Grove; G. Loeber from Niles; B. Heidenmueller from Rodenburg; J. Strieter from Aurora; and C. Burkhardt from Dundee.

    The firmness with which these Lutherans express their convictions is refreshing 8and encouraging; for anyone who wavers in times of uncertainty merely augments and spreads the evil. Luther was important, not so much because he clung to certain theological opinions, but chiefly because he set an example of unwavering adherence to the truth. He was one of those rare moral giants from whose activity mankind dates a new era of history.

    On October 31, 1517, Luther nailed his ninety-five theses to the door of the Castle Church at Wittenberg, Germany. On October 31, 1867, this epochal event was observed on a ...

    German
    III C, III C, IV
  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- September 27, 1870
    Methodist Episcopal Committee's Report on Franco-Prussian War.

    Whereas, Our beloved former fatherland has been signally victorious in a war which was forced upon her, and

    Whereas, We take great interest in our former fatherland, despite the fact that we are American citizens, and

    Whereas, This is a conflict of justice against injustice, and a conflict of national self-development against despotic tutelage, be it therefore

    Resolved, That we heartily deplore the horrible carnage, and herewith express our sincere sympathy for the plight of the wounded soldiers, the widows, and the orphans of the fallen warriors. Be it further

    Resolved, That we hail with great joy the rise of Germany from internal 2dissension to unity, from national degradation to national independence, and that we see in this gigantic struggle God's hand which makes the rage of men subservient to His purposes and is bent upon leading Germany to political and religious freedom. Be it further

    Resolved, That, although we desire that this War end soon, we are firmly convinced that it should not be terminated until certain guaranties of a permanent peace have been given. Be it further

    Resolved, That we endeavor to collect money in our congregations and send it to our missionaries in Germany for distribution among the wounded soldiers and the widows and orphans. Be it further

    Resolved, That these resolutions be published in the English and German newspapers of this city.

    The above resolutions were unanimously adopted at a conference which the 3Methodist Episcopal Church held yesterday morning.

    E. Wundfrlich,

    J. W. Roecker,

    R. Fiegenbaum,

    A. Miller,

    H. Boettcher.

    Whereas, Our beloved former fatherland has been signally victorious in a war which was forced upon her, and Whereas, We take great interest in our former fatherland, despite the fact ...

    German
    III C, I G
  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- April 25, 1871
    [A Corner Stone Laid]

    Laying of the corner stone of the Evangelical St. Stephen's Church, corner of 25th and Wentworth Avenue. The procession was led by Pastor Guntram, the minister and by Mrs. G. Ehrhorn and H. Wolff, the teachers of the community.

    The laying of the corner stone itself(after a long sermon and several songs) was accomplished with the assistance of architect (Baumeister) Gottig, bricklayers Andreas and Fachslanger, Cabinet-makers, H. Erbe, and building foreman,Christian Wiche. Into the tin box in the cornerstone Pastor Guntram inclosed three ears of wheat, a bottle of wine, a new testament, a list of the 68 members of the community, a copy of the April 22nd issue of the Illinois Staats Zeitung, some American coins and the founding charter of the community. Pastor Guntram did the first three strokes with the hammer. He was followed by the trustees of the community: George Scheidig, President; Ch. Mertens, H. Wagner, Wilhelm Luckow.

    Laying of the corner stone of the Evangelical St. Stephen's Church, corner of 25th and Wentworth Avenue. The procession was led by Pastor Guntram, the minister and by Mrs. G. ...

    German
    II B 1 c 3, I B 4, III C
  • Illinois Staats-Zeitung -- April 25, 1871
    [The Alexian Brothers Hospital]

    The hospital of the Alexian Brothers here in Chicago has recently been honored. In Laramie, Wyoming Territory, a hospital has been opened by the Union Pacific. Due to reports in Chicago newspapers that had attracted attention, the Union Pacific turned to the Rector of the Alexian Hospital asking him to take over the task of furnishing and administrating the hospital in Laramie. The request has been granted. From Aachen (Aix-Les-Bains) twenty brothers of the order will be coming here. Dr. Baxter and Brother Paulus will go with them to Laramie by way of Omaha. Professor Belcke will accompany the expedition.

    The hospital of the Alexian Brothers here in Chicago has recently been honored. In Laramie, Wyoming Territory, a hospital has been opened by the Union Pacific. Due to reports in ...

    German
    II D 3, III H, III C